Setting Up Range Extender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up Range Extender

My house's wiring is an unholy mess. It is split-phase, but there's no rhyme or reason to it - a left-phase outlet can be right next to a right-phase outlet. Anyway, about 10 years ago I switched from X-10 to Insteon, and I got two of those Access Point thingys. Since then I've been buying as much dual-band as I can, but I still seem to have dead zones in the Master B/R and the front entry (right next to the bedroom). I just popped for a new Range Extender 2992-222, but that doesn't seem to be doing any good either. Before I post in the Motion Sensor II topic (cuz I suspect THAT may be the problem), am I correct that the Range Extender can hook up with one of the Access Points? If I hit the Set button 4 times, and it starts beeping, I go to one of the Access Points and just look at the LED to make sure it's not blinking (it's the old white LED type), or do I have to actually push a button on the Access Point?

Dual-band gear works with the Range Extender and Access Points, but not the earlier SignaLincs (the incompatible modules with black antennas on the side were phased out around 9 years ago).

To do the RF signal test, you do a very quick 4-tap on just one dual-band module. Any module that can hear the radio signal without repeaters being involved will respond with its LED, you shouldn’t touch the Set button on any other devices.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8 View Post
      Dual-band gear works with the Range Extender and Access Points, but not the earlier SignaLincs (the incompatible modules with black antennas on the side were phased out around 9 years ago).

To do the RF signal test, you do a very quick 4-tap on just one dual-band module. Any module that can hear the radio signal without repeaters being involved will respond with its LED, you shouldn’t touch the Set button on any other devices.
      OK, thanks. (Yeah, I remember SignaLinc...I think you plugged your dryer into it or something) So ANY dual-band module? Like a wall-switch?

Comment

Multiple devices were called SignaLincs, but I was referring specifically to the SignaLinc RF. That was a module with a black antenna on the side that came with the original Insteon starter kits and served as the 1st gen Insteon phase bridges. They won’t talk with current dual-band devices.

All the dual-band gear sold after the SignaLinc RF (as well as sable-band RF) can exchange messages via RF provided something isn’t blocking/interfering with the RF signal

Comment

Ah, OK. In any case, I don't have any. (Or they're in my garage sale bin).

Comment

Working...
          X