Setting Up Range Extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Up Range Extender

My house's wiring is an unholy mess. It is split-phase, but there's no rhyme or reason to it - a left-phase outlet can be right next to a right-phase outlet. Anyway, about 10 years ago I switched from X-10 to Insteon, and I got two of those Access Point thingys. Since then I've been buying as much dual-band as I can, but I still seem to have dead zones in the Master B/R and the front entry (right next to the bedroom). I just popped for a new Range Extender 2992-222, but that doesn't seem to be doing any good either. Before I post in the Motion Sensor II topic (cuz I suspect THAT may be the problem), am I correct that the Range Extender can hook up with one of the Access Points? If I hit the Set button 4 times, and it starts beeping, I go to one of the Access Points and just look at the LED to make sure it's not blinking (it's the old white LED type), or do I have to actually push a button on the Access Point?
    Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
    Dual-band gear works with the Range Extender and Access Points, but not the earlier SignaLincs (the incompatible modules with black antennas on the side were phased out around 9 years ago).

To do the RF signal test, you do a very quick 4-tap on just one dual-band module. Any module that can hear the radio signal without repeaters being involved will respond with its LED, you shouldn’t touch the Set button on any other devices.
    OK, thanks. (Yeah, I remember SignaLinc...I think you plugged your dryer into it or something) So ANY dual-band module? Like a wall-switch?
    Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

Ah, OK. In any case, I don't have any. (Or they're in my garage sale bin).
      Jim Speiser
      Payson, Arizona

Comment

Maybe this can help
        https://forum.insteon.com/forum/main...s-with-insteon
        In my case it was not a phase problem but TWO different electric instalation but the solution is the same:
        If you can install a cable from the blind intallation, ie the one not receiving signals. I mean connect a well isolated cable connected to the electrical blind installation to next to the place where your HUB is (probably connected to the another electrical/phase network).
        On this cable, in the side of the hub, install any double band device. After this the signals from the HUB will go RF to the device and then injected by PLC into the cable...and then to the blind installation, Its a kind of "coupling phase" but via RF

In Europe they don't sell phase coupling devices so I need to invent this bypass

Comment

I was actually reading your post and found some really interesting information.
          Last edited by INSTEON John; 08-03-2023, 01:34 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

The 2442 SignaLinc used a different RF frequency and will not process any RF signals from 2443 Access Points, Range Extenders or Dual Band modules.
            The older 2443 White LED 2443. Bright white in test is communicating with the other module and on opposite phases. Flashing white communicating on the same phase. No led indication. Not communicating at all.
            The hardware V2.? Access Points where built on the 2413 PLM main board and had the same power supply capacitor issues. I rebuilt a set myself.
            Range Extender is actually a 2457D2 LampLinc with the dimmer output circuit not installed.
            The dryer coupler would couple the Insteon Power Line commands between the two phases but only the signals strength at the dryer outlet along with any noise on the power lines.

Comment

Working...
            X