Many Houses with Insteon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many Houses with Insteon

No, I'm not Donald T but I'd like to manage two flats with Insteon.

It is not possible to connect two HUBs to the same LAN: for instance two contiguous flats with ONE internet access but TWO independent power installations. The same if you own a Guest House far away from the Main one and with independent power but you don't want to contract a second internet access.

Also you cannot configure TWO houses within the same Insteon app, each one with its own configuration.

And you cannot install TWO Insteon app into the same mobile

So you're forced to change to another system for the second house...bad business for Insteon.

Edit: I will check the second house it looks like I can add to my account but only from Windows interface that I use rarely. May be I can configure a second house with a secondary hub...but not sure if the second HUB might be connected to the same LAN (router).
    Last edited by Opor; 08-20-2015, 07:25 AM. Reason: Read a Stu's post about...

Which Hub? You can have more than one Hub with the same and/or different credentials. Only one app is needed in any case.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

On the Hubv1 and Hubv2, you can add multiple Hubs to the iOS platform and the Windows platform. Android does not currently support this. Otherwise, you would just set up two accounts using different emails addresses and just log in to them as needed.

Comment

Thank you. Will try with iOS app...the Windows/W Phone apps do not have the best opinions right now. I was just using Android and couldnĀ“t imagine the most extended (mobile) OS had the less functionality

Comment

Just in case someone may need and for Stu's:
          The problem was how to use one HUB with TWO flats each one with its own electrical independent installation. The final simple and cheap solution was:
          -Install a simple but well insulated power cable from flat 2 to flat 1, next to the HUB (my HUB is on flat1)
          -Connect to this cable any insteon module, I use a dimmer. Configure it to be recognised by the Hub. As it is quite next (20cm in my case) the RF signal works fast and reliable.
          -Now install as usual the modules in the Flat2
          -Thanks to the bridge RF from Hub in flat 1 to powerline flat 2 made, every command send to the Hub in flat1 will get the modules in flat2. And as always, as more modules you have in flat 2 the mesh network works better and reliable.

In Europe we lack a lot of modules available in the US like phase bridges that may have also worked. Also I plan to test an industrial bridge that works in the 130-140 khz band to interconnect the prowerline signals bw the two flats, it is electrically isolated, just RF goes from one to other.

Comment

Working...
          X