Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be nice. However when I look at the what people are willing to pay, not many would purchase one to make it worth the cost to Insteon. People are simply cheap and unwilling to pay for quality items.

Look at this forum alone; you have people complaining incessantly about 80 hubs not being able to do xyz and then people trip when they realize they need something more powerful.

Or how about the cost of a kpl alone. They dont even want to pay 80 bucks for a kpl by itself. Do you really think they would pay double? As a DYI project, I think those pictures looked cool. However, id want a much higher quality screen on my walls which would increase the price. In the end, business wise it doesnt make sense. High end systems yes. Insteon no

Comment

IMO, Insteon is a high end, highly capable DIY HA system. At $50 for a dimmer or On/Off switch, it's certainly not a low cost device. But, you are correct. People expect high level functionality from a bottom of the line, low cost, entry level device and complain when more is not built-in.

Having absolutely no idea what's in involved, their favorite statement is that it would be easy and cost pennies. Neither is true.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Youre right about the cost. Im comparing it to high end systems such as Crestron, Control4, and Savant

Comment

Not enough options with insteon after all they stopped the touchlinc and houselinc so touch screen is dead. Can we all agree to disagree?

Comment

It sucks that we continue to have to rely on third party products.

Comment

There are plenty of options. You simply choose not to invest in them. As stated earlier, get a cheap IPAD, download your favorite app to it and now you're done. Mission accomplished. If finances are not an issue, you could always simply use RTI (they have touchscreens) and integrate Insteon into that. The fact is, there are options. The question is do you want to complain about something or invest in the options that work for you

Comment

You have to rely on 3rd party for almost everything. It is rare that you will find an all in 1 solution from most companies as the needs of consumers constantly change and there isn't always a large enough demand that makes investing in particular technologies worthwhile

Comment

I find that, for the most part, that all-in-one system are not nearly a capable as separates, although there are exceptions.

For example, the are no or few TVs that have great sound, so I add receivers and speakers or sound bars to most installations. Also, I use a third party reasonable large screen telephone ID display that I can see across the room so I don't have to be staring at the small telephone screen whenever someone calls. My stereo includes a separate amplifier, pre-amplifier, two FM tuners and CD changer. And, of course, separate speakers. Aside: my audio gear is explicitly for the quality of sound, nothing else.

Even my car has added 3rd party and factory add-ons such as a supercharger, short shifter, oversize brakes and (racing) wheels, improved exhaust, even more.

And, like virtually every home owner, I have many after sale improvements.

OTOH, there is a market for low cost devices that don't have the bells and whistles that some expect from such entry level devices.
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Pi is fun but boring

Comment

People are sick of wasting time

Comment

Read the heading

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalo View Post
                          People are sick of wasting time
                          Which people? Whom have you asked? I'm having fun as I usually do

Comment

your a mad man stu

Comment

The ones that want it simpler ,or the "basket of deplorables"

Comment

Just want to help the general public have more fun !!

Comment

Working...
                                X