This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey INSTEON: It's time for a touchscreen KPL--Like Wink Relay

I was thinking how to integrate the Wink Relay (which is a really cool new product) into my home's ISY994iZ as well. Not worth $300 to control my Zwave door locks and a few other devices. plus the Wink Relay is not even Apple HomeKit enabled. When will we see the Insteon HomeKit Relay? I understand it's on the roadmap. Timing?

Food for thought for Insteon: make a touchscreen controller as slick as the Wink Relay. The horribly unsuccessful TouchLinc (I had 4 of them and sold them as soon as I could) was a nice attempt 4 years ago and KeyPadlincs are getting old. How about a single gang device with LCD/LED/OLED display that is customizable to look like a KPL with virtual buttons that can have any text or graphic for the device/scene? It can be configured from 1 to 8 buttons and actually replace the SwitchLinc entirely. Put your development efforts into a single switch product. I despise paying $20 for custom etched KPL buttons or P-touching my switches. LCD or OLED is the way to go.

Other HA protocols are leaving Insteon in the dust as there are tons of Zwave, Zigbee and WiFi controllers and devices much more readily available than Insteon. I can buy any of these at Staples, Home Depot, Lowes, etc... Besides SmartHome and a few other HA websites, your devices are available online from Home Depot, Costco (only 5 products) and select BestBuy stores.

If Insteon wants to stay alive during this pivotal time for HA, they need to be competitive in both features and availability. As good as Insteon is, it still utilizes an archaic PLM architecture and the devices really don't last all that long.
    Can't tell you how many LampLincs I have thrown out because they stopped working. Apple's HomeKit framework will open up the world of HA to anyone, using any product.

The Hub (even the new one) is very limited in functionality, but offers a nicer interface than the ISY (well it really has no interface, just a hard to use/understand Java Applet). Without products like MobiLinc, I would have jumped ship from Insteon long ago. The decision to not even update the devices list in HouseLinc IMO is ridiculous I understand HL is EOL, but at least let the new Hub interface with it at some level. There is no official documentation that says it's NOT compatible besides a list of model #s in the revision notes.

I have over 100 Insteon devices in my home with an ISY994iz and really need to find a sleek touchscreen interface. Mobilinc on an IPad is as close as I can get now.

I know I am not the only one with these opinions.

+1 on all points!
    Teken . . .

Comment

+1

When will we see Wink integration. Smarthome could be big in the space if they get this enabled right away. They will be buried if they do not, against the likes of GE and Apple.

Comment

Just got my Family Handyman and it covers HA and not a mention of Insteon.

Comment

+1

I agree a fully addressable touchpanel that could be configured in all areas (coloring, number of keys, icons, use your own created icons or graphics, etc) would be wonderful.

Comment

Even if you set up a small tablet with the insteon app
            it wouldn't be any good because the app is limited to insteon . Setting up a tablet with home remote or another third party app would be close.

Comment

Originally posted by jgadget View Post
              Put your development efforts into a single switch product. I despise paying $20 for custom etched KPL buttons or P-touching my switches. LCD or OLED is the way to go.
              [/FONT]
              Wow, this post is from 3 years ago and still a great idea. I have to buy another 2 sets of custom KPL buttons...have been holding off because the price is ridiculous. A custom touch screen would be sweet.

Comment

It's not unlikely that a touch keypad would cost even more than custom buttons. The holidays are coming, perhaps there'll be a sale
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Being that other smarts sreen concepts costs much more than a kpl with buttons, I will just go with with the current offerings. Touchscreen sounds good on the surface but in the end, how many would really want to pay for the price of one.
                  Last edited by lilyoyo1; 11-11-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

7" tablet would be fine just offer the permanent installation options or a wall dock of some sort

Comment

Have you tried INTELLiHome? Disclaimer: I haven't.
                      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalo View Post
                        7" tablet would be fine just offer the permanent installation options or a wall dock of some sort
                        An individual could do that without insteon. For them to do it and make money, the Cost would be more than what most would want to pay. People complain about the cost of the kpl and buttons; so you really think they'd want to pay a lot more? The few that would would not justify the r&d cost, manufacturing, nor storage of devices

Comment

Maybe you could design something besides bad comments lilyoyo

Comment

Maybe you could've stayed home instead of coming back with the same ridiculous comments.

Just because you don't like the statement doesn't mean it's not true. In this day when you can spend 100 bucks on a tablet why would they develop one and sell for hundreds of dollars? It makes no logical sense from a business standpoint.
                            Last edited by lilyoyo1; 11-11-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

For anyone who is serious about this effort and has some time and technical skills you may consider going this route: http://forum.universal-devices.com/t...-raspberry-pi/

This will offer a custom KPL that will please almost anyone who has waited so long.

If Smartlabs used this open source code and similar low costs parts this same product could be offered for less than $100.00 USD. If we give the bean counters some profit margin than $150.00 USD would offer that profit margin those bean counter are looking for. Let's see if that new guy who bought Insteon is paying attention to happenings in the Home Automation world.
                              Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Working...
                              X