Keypad Dimmer enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keypad Dimmer enhancements

It would be nice if, in the 8 button mode, I could program any of the 8 buttons to be the active button for the attached load (vs always the top left button). This would allow me to setup multiple keypad devices with the exact same configuration (i.e., the top left button is always Kitchen, position D is always Family Room, etc.), which makes for a better user experience. I suspect it might be possible to accomplish this solely via firmware changes. [And yes, I realize I could program button D to -also- control the load, but I want to free up button A to use for a different purpose.]

My second wish list item would require some hardware changes. I have instances where a single wide outlet box contains a double switch controlling two devices. On the keypad dimmer, how about adding a 2nd red wire and controlling two devices via the single keypad device? And as above, allow the choice of buttons to be programmed by the owner. I could live with a 600w aggregate load.

Lastly, a suggestion for the 25-button (and 50-button) etched button kit. I'd rather have a single small 'ALL' button than separate "ALL ON" and "ALL OFF" buttons. If the button is lit, pressing it turns everything off, and vice versa. This frees up a button for something else (like 'BEDROOM' for the 25-button kit).

Now that the dual-controlled outlet is out, it's clear there's room for a double switch of some kind. I'm not sure whether a Keypad is the best form factor for it, but I have a few double switches myself and it would be nice to be able to automate them without replacing the box.
    Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
    Insteon Programming: http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/insteon.html

Comment

I would also like to assign the load button for the same reason. Using multiple keypads in the same room & allowing the same button layout dramatically improves functionality. Yes, you could bury a micro module but that it difficult to fit and seems wasteful.

Comment

Aside from the wastefulness of an extra device, the Micro Module is usually installed in the ceiling/fixture box, not the switch box.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Another vote for making the controlling button assignable in the 8 keys.

Comment

Working...
          X