Powering a 1/3 - 1/2hp sump pump motor near an I/O Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powering a 1/3 - 1/2hp sump pump motor near an I/O Module

I'm having my sump pump replaced and I'm adding 2 I/O modules nearby for monitoring. I'm adding a new work box as I need to have access to the hot feeding the outlet to the pump so I can add a current sensing relay in the box. I'd either plug the pump into the IO module's pass through outlet, or an outlet that is a few wire inches away from both IO modules

Question: any experience with motors or noisy devices near the io module where the module is damaged? The cautions in the manual talk about no stacking Insteon modules or plugging hot things like power supplies in; neither of these things will be true in my case.

I don't think interference will be a problem as I'm not controlling the load, only monitoring it. I'll deal with interference if it proves to be problematic.
    Last edited by paulbates; 11-27-2023, 09:42 AM.

It sounds like you are talking the 2450 I/OLinc to send the signals when the current sensor's On Off dry contact output triggers it.
    It is an older power line only module. So you may have to think of possible communications problems.
    That module also has a small switching supply. I don't think it is as prone to spikes as other type supplies.
    A phase coupler in the breaker box may help. Along with some Dual Band devices to pass on the signals.
    If the pump's motor generates a large spike. I guess it could damage the module. Though I have seen no reports of it happening.
    I do have a 2456S Appliance Module that noise from a fluorescent light. Some times locked it up from noise I guess.
    In that case I put an X10Pro XPPF on the module output.
    Last edited by BLH; 11-28-2023, 04:17 AM. Reason: Spelling error.

Comment

Thanks... yes that is what I'm doing. I'll install it and see how I do. Not having heard reports of this is good news. An XPFF is a potential too, good idea. I'm thinking about putting a signalinc on the panel and put an on/off module at the location if the Insteon messages are intermittent.

Comment

Watch the XPPF.
        It is rated for 5 amps but mine started to get warm with a 4 amp resisteive load.
        5 amps maybe pushing it.

Comment

Here's my breakdown:

Potential for interference:
          • Electromagnetic interference (EMI): The sump pump motor and relay can generate EMI, which could disrupt the low-voltage signals used by the I/O modules. However, the modules are shielded and designed to filter out EMI.
          • Physical interference: Strong vibrations from the sump pump could theoretically damage the I/O modules' internal components. However, your proposed setup with a separate workbox and sufficient distance should minimize this risk.

Reasons to be optimistic:
          • Monitoring vs. control: As you mentioned, you're only monitoring the sump pump, not controlling it. This significantly reduces the risk of interference, as the I/O modules are only receiving data, not transmitting it.
          • Module capabilities: The newer I/O modules are generally more robust and less susceptible to EMI than older models. Check your specific model's documentation for details.
          • Distance factor: Keeping the modules a few inches away from the pump and relay helps to attenuate any EMI.

Recommendations:
          • Test and monitor: After installation, monitor the I/O modules for any signs of interference, such as erratic readings or communication failures. If you encounter issues, you can try repositioning the modules or using additional shielding.
          • Follow best practices: Maintain proper wiring practices and avoid bundling the I/O module cables with the pump's power lines. This can further reduce any potential interference.

Overall, while caution is always recommended, the risks of interference in your specific setup seem manageable. The distance between the modules and potential sources of EMI, combined with the monitoring-only function, should help ensure their proper operation. However, don't hesitate to troubleshoot if you encounter any problems.

I hope this information helps! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions about your Insteon setup.

Comment

Working...
          X