No announcement yet.

iOS 10 Incorrect and or "No Response" Status in Home App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, great. Thanks for the tip. It will save me some time to link it only once.

I also found out that the watch would pre-load info so the names would not be right (it would show generic names instead of the new names I had set). Force quitting the app in the watch and restarting it solved the issue.

Comment

I'm finding it's actually not working that well. I added all my rooms and most of them disappeared a couple minutes later. Also, when renaming a device and assigning a room right after adding it, those settings get lost. I have to go back and rename and reassign rooms multiple times. I think you have to add devices slowly with a break between each one. The system can't handle adding devices and updating settings at a decent speed.
      ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
      iOS devices
      Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

I am in communication with Insteon and received this response about linking with the set button:

"Regarding the manual linking process, linking in both directions as described on insteon.com is the correct process. Failing to link in both directions creates half links. Although the HomeKit portion of the Hub Pro will show the device, the Insteon network is not completely configured which may cause messages to be missed or other unintended behavior."

So I guess we do need to link in both directions.

I was also told that using the Home app is currently the best way to setup the Hub Pro and add devices since the Insteon+ app has not been updated in a long time.
        Last edited by flmmkr; 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM.
        iOS devices

Comment

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I added 25 devices using the Set button and the Apple Watch functionality no longer works. I tried force quitting the Home app on the Watch, but that didn't help. I have a Watch Series 2
          iOS devices

Comment

Also, I renamed all my devices and added them to rooms. All seemed to be working. The names and rooms held. I just now tried adding one more device, named it, added it to a room, and then all of my devices defaulted back to the default device name and Default Room. I don't think HomeKit or the Hub Pro is able to reliably handle a lot of devices. This is only 25 devices I'm trying to add, which doesn't seem like a lot to me. I have 60+ total through ISY and 32 total I'm able to add to Hub Pro (due to compatibility). I have zero issues with the ISY.

I'm also constantly getting "No Response" status on all my devices in the Favorites page of the Home app on the iPhone. I have to tap the device to get the status to show correctly. This was the same issue with adding devices with the Insteon app.

So it seems to me that adding the Hub Pro and devices via the Home app and Set button works better and more reliably than adding with Insteon+, but all other issues remain.

I just fixed everything (names and rooms). I have one more device I can add via the Set button. I'm going to wait an hour or so before doing that to see if it reverts everything to default names and Default Room assignment again. I'm hoping it simply needs time to fully update my HomeKit configuration uninterrupted. If all goes well with that I'll just add the FanLincs through the Insteon+ app since doing it via the Set button doesn't actually solve the issues we're all having with status on the iPhone and functionality with the Apple Watch.
            Last edited by flmmkr; 03-07-2017, 12:21 PM.
            iOS devices

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to add devices slowly. I will also consider adding only the most used devices to the hub pro instead of all of them (since I have a parallel system just like you do). Even if I can only use the Home app and the Hub pro for only a subset of my devices, I will be happy.

About the Apple Watch functionality no longer working, did you remove devices from "favorites" after adding (turned on as favorite is a default after device is added)? I will try to just pick and choose only a few favorites which may or may not work but I have always suspected there is some kind of limit.

Comment

Yes, I removed a lot of devices from the Favorites. I currently have 11 devices in Favorites, out of 25 total (not including the Hub Pro). Looking at the Home app on the Watch, I notice I only see 21 devices total. Only 10 of those have the names and room assignments I gave the devices. The rest say "Default Room" and the default device name below that. All say "No Response".
                Last edited by flmmkr; 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM.
                iOS devices

Comment

I suspect there may be a limit to the number of devices the Home app can reliably work with on both iOS and WatchOS. Everything worked great on my iPhone and Watch just adding a few devices. As soon as I added maybe more than 5 things started going haywire. Maybe the Watch has a limit of 20 devices, since it's only showing 21 of 25 devices for me and not working. I wonder if I removed 6 devices if it would suddenly work. I suggest adding one device at a time and fully testing the Home app on both the iPhone and Watch after adding each device. See how many you get to before it stops working properly.
                  iOS devices

Comment

Yes, a FanLinc will fit in a 3-gang box, but only if there's nothing else but wires in that box.

KCF, the FanLinc can be linked using an ISY. There's no need to touch the FanLinc at all.
                    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                      Yes, a FanLinc will fit in a 3-gang box, but only if there's nothing else but wires in that box.

KCF, the FanLinc can be linked using an ISY. There's no need to touch the FanLinc at all.
                      I checked on the Universal Devices forum. I was told that there's no way to use the ISY to invoke the Set button remotely for adding the FanLinc to Hub Pro. Are you saying there's a way to do that?
                      iOS devices

Comment

About as sure as I can be. I did it, in particular, first I installed the FanLinc, made sure is had power, closed the canopy and did everything else from the Administrative console.

I certainly didn't intend to portray that you can use the ISY for the Hub, not for the FanLinc nor any other device. Nor can one use the Hub to add and/or control device with the ISY. They are entirely different Insteon managers.
                        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I already have the FanLinc added to the ISY. The question was asking if there was a way to invoke the Set button remotely to add the FanLinc to the Hub Pro without physically needing to press the Set button (or enter the 6-digit hardware address). Pressing the Set button send a command to the device's firmware to enter a specific mode. I was hoping we could enter that specific mode with a remote command from the ISY. It doesn't appear to be possible.
                          iOS devices

Comment

Are you using both the ISY and Hub for the same devices as controllers and/or responders? If so, unless you're intimately familiar with the Insteon protocol, you may (or may not) run into some difficulties, in particular, unexpected results. But then, you won't know if it's what you are doing or the result of using the ISY with another Insteon manager.

Comment

It was working fine with the old Hub 2 I had until that died on me. I switched to the ISY and it worked fine with that until the Hub Pro burned up too. I've just set up the new Hub Pro alongside the ISY and all is working fine as it did before (aside from the Apple Watch and status issue on iPhone that everyone is experiencing). The only issue I'm seeing at times is that HomeKit doesn't always know correctly if a light is on or off. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Generally I just need to press the button for a device twice or tell Siri the opposite command I want and then the command I want and all is fine. Hopefully they can get it sorted out at some point. The ISY has the ability to query the devices and set the correct status. It would be great if the Hub Pro did that with HomeKit.
                              iOS devices

Comment

The Homekit is unaware of any device or device feature (e.g., fast on) that hasn't been added to the Homekit. That's Apple's decision and can't be changed unless Apple changes it.

Comment

Working...
                                X