No announcement yet.

iOS 10 Incorrect and or "No Response" Status in Home App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for double posting, but this seems relevant to both the WatchOS problems discussion and this discussion.

Ok, after several tests I believe I finally have a theory with what is going on with all these problems between the insteon hub pro and the new Home app in iOS and WatchOS.

First, let me list my observations:

1) Insteon+ app crashes when creating automations in iOS Home app

2) "No Response" problem occurs in all devices in Favorites page of iOS Home app

3) "No Response" problem occurs in Rooms too, but only in those Rooms that have a devices assigned to a scene, if that scene was created from the iOS Home app.

4) Devices in Watch OS Home app also have the "No Response" problem and are totally unresponsive from WatchOS Home app. Notice that these devices are driven from "Favorites" and the favorite status can only me assigned in the iOS Home app.

Now, let's examine the issues. There is one thing in common: all problems start when a modification is made in the iOS Home app. If I define My Home, add all my devices, create my scenes and automations, etc, in the Insteon+ app (without selecting any favorites) and just start using the iOS Home app then there are no issues at all. The only problem is the fact that I cannot use the WatchOS Home app, but that is expected since it is based on favorites. This means the Hub Pro is able to successfully create and manage a Home in Apple's HomeKit. However, any modification made in iOS Home such as automations, scenes, favorites, result in issues. My theory is that the Hub Pro is ill equipped to handle these modifications (probably because it is not expecting them?).

Thoughts? Does Insteon Support read this forum or would it be a good idea to try to communicate this theory to them in case they haven't considered it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by KCF View Post
      Sorry for double posting, but this seems relevant to both the WatchOS problems discussion and this discussion.

Ok, after several tests I believe I finally have a theory with what is going on with all these problems between the insteon hub pro and the new Home app in iOS and WatchOS.

First, let me list my observations:

1) Insteon+ app crashes when creating automations in iOS Home app

2) "No Response" problem occurs in all devices in Favorites page of iOS Home app

3) "No Response" problem occurs in Rooms too, but only in those Rooms that have a devices assigned to a scene, if that scene was created from the iOS Home app.

4) Devices in Watch OS Home app also have the "No Response" problem and are totally unresponsive from WatchOS Home app. Notice that these devices are driven from "Favorites" and the favorite status can only me assigned in the iOS Home app.

Now, let's examine the issues. There is one thing in common: all problems start when a modification is made in the iOS Home app. If I define My Home, add all my devices, create my scenes and automations, etc, in the Insteon+ app (without selecting any favorites) and just start using the iOS Home app then there are no issues at all. The only problem is the fact that I cannot use the WatchOS Home app, but that is expected since it is based on favorites. This means the Hub Pro is able to successfully create and manage a Home in Apple's HomeKit. However, any modification made in iOS Home such as automations, scenes, favorites, result in issues. My theory is that the Hub Pro is ill equipped to handle these modifications (probably because it is not expecting them?).

Thoughts? Does Insteon Support read this forum or would it be a good idea to try to communicate this theory to them in case they haven't considered it yet?
      Just want to add that is your experience but not the case for us all. For instance you mention when adding all your devices there is no issue but when making modifications like automatons, scenes, favorites, issue result. In my case simply adding them causes the issue after adding about 6-10. And tried multiple times, where removed/reset all devices, the hub, reset apple tv 4 data etc, trying different router, different hub, etc. In regards to #2, sometimes one or two work on the favorites pages but later on they also stop working. In regards to #1, its currently only specific automations that cause the issue rather than all automations.

So currently while the issue may happen consistently for some, for others there is no rhyme or reason currently.

Thrilled to hear from TFtizpartri8 that Insteon has an updated app since the last one was over a year ago and they are working with Apple to get it approved. Hopefully that will help! Going to give it a few more months to see if they end up finding a resolution.

Comment

Found the Tweet TFtizpartri8 mentioned, and actually looks like Insteon confirmed that the update won't infact be the long awaited app update that is over a year old, but rather a firmware update for the hub to presumably address this and other issues. Not entirely sure why they need Apple's permission to release a firmware update to their box since those aren't provided via the Apple app store. My guess is that since it's a home kit device they have to get permission from Apple for each firmware update perhaps?

Comment

Anyone find a fix for this yet? I'm so surprised and disappointed by the lack of support by Insteon developers. Living with this for months now after buying over 20 Insteon switches. Buyers remorse

Comment

Ok, I finally have something positive to report. It seems most of the problems are caused by the Insteon+ app and the solution is to try to not use the app at all. I found a review in the Hub Pro page in Smarthome and I thought it was worth trying:

"Works Well Review by FTI76

Insteon\Smarthome really should update their documentation if they want to sell this product and not get trashed on their reviews.

The Hubs works perfectly, but you cannot use the Insteon App with iOS10. You need to add the hub via the iOS10 Home app. Then you need to manually pair the switches to the hub by pressing the pairing button on the hub, and then the pairing button on the insteon+ device. All configurations need to be done via the iOS10 Home app. It could be a hassle to do this pairing process for many devices but in theory it is a one time setup.

Posted on 2/19/2017"

I followed these directions and added a couple of my insteon devices manually instead of through the insteon+ app, then changed the names and rooms in the iOS Home app and control everything through the Home App. Best results I have seen ever! The "no response" is gone, and the Home app shows the correct status of the light even if it is turned on/off manually. I will keep testing by adding more devices, but it seems promising. I can even control the lights from my Apple watch using the Home app.

Comment

Interesting. If that's the case, is there an easy way to add FanLincs? Right now I can see the only way being to dismount of the fan, add the FanLinc with the set button and then remount the fan. That's a real pain.
              ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
              iOS devices
              Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

flmmkr, I was thinking the same. I have two fanlincs installed in the fan itself and I don't see other way than dismounting. My other two fanlincs are installed in the switch box so less painful there.

Comment

How did you manage to fit the FanLincs in a switch box? I've got 7, all installed in the fan mount.
                  Last edited by flmmkr; 03-07-2017, 07:47 AM.
                  iOS devices

Comment

The ones installed in the switch box are in triple switch boxes. Still a tight fight, but doable.

I am not familiar with the ISY994izw, but you can try to investigate if there is a way to put the devices on linking mode programmatically.
                    Last edited by KCF; 03-07-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I have 3 fans I could potentially do that with (1 in a 3-gang and 2 in 4-gang), but 5 are in 2-gang. I could potentially convert those 5 into 3 gang and use a blank insert for the 3rd spot.

I'll look at the possibility of doing something like that with the ISY. I don't know if it's possible, but I just got it and am not 100% familiar with it yet, so it's worth researching.
                      iOS devices

Comment

KCF, how are you adding the devices with the set button? I've tried following Insteon instructions (http://www.insteon.com/support-knowl...insteon-device) and it doesn't work. I don't know if it has something to do with the fact I already have the devices programmed with the ISY. It doesn't work well, but I am able to add devices by typing the 6 digit address in Insteon+.
                        iOS devices

Comment

Ok nevermind, I tried one more time and it worked. Also the status on my Apple Watch is updating and accurate for devices added in this manner. Might be worth going through the trouble of dismounting the fans. Two of them are up high on vaulted ceilings though.
                          iOS devices

Comment

flmmkr, yes, I just followed those instructions: press the hub's recessed button with a clip until it beeps, then press the device button until it beeps. Then repeat the process starting from the device. I was able to add two devices so far, I have not tried more yet.

However, I now recall that after I factory reset the hub I did have some trouble adding a device manually. But then I added one through the insteon+ app and the manual linking started working (then I deleted the one that was added through the insteon+ app). You can try that sequence if you continue to have trouble with the manual link. Another step you can try is logging off/on from the insteon+ app.

Comment

Great! Yes, those vaulted ceiling ones are the ones that you should consider moving to the switch box.

I am going to try adding my 40+ devices tonight. If it all works well, it will be worth it. I really like the iOS and WatchOS Home interfaces and I have been so upset that they were not working well with the Hub Pro.

Comment

The instructions are wrong. You don't need to press and hold Set in reverse order. Just once on the Hub Pro and then on the device once. If you do the reverse it won't add. Just once and wait a moment, then it will add.

I think I was close to figuring this out on my own funny enough. Yesterday I was trying to set up my replacement Hub Pro (old one burned up) and couldn't get it to pair with the Insteon+ app. I'd wait 15 minutes for it to finish pairing but it wouldn't. So I found I could add it in the Home app and it worked instantly. Then I was having issues adding devices and room. Rooms would disappear unless I created them in the Home app. Adding devices with Insteon+ was nothing but troublesome. Would take a long time and/or timeout when adding, but would still show up in All Devices. And devices added with Insteon+ wouldn't keep their names or room assignments after I was finally able to add them.
                                iOS devices

Comment

Working...
                                X