Insteon+ App Crashing On iOS10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, experiencing the same issue.

Been using iOS 10 and every developer beta since June. Insteon+ has worked throughout all except for 10.0.1 which was released to developers a few days before the public launch. I was able to verify the issue on multiple devices I own such as iPhones and iPads as well as a friends. The only thing consistent was the home data we were connecting to (my home). When the new iPhone 7 came out it updated immediately to the now public 10.0.1 and the same issue occurs when connected to my home data.

I’ve been using the firmware that came with my hub 1.0.6 but a few days ago updated to 1.0.7.

Insteon+ opens on 10.0.1 if I don’t allow access to HomeKit Data. So it definitely appears to be an issue with the HomeKit data and I can only assume it some how got corrupted during the beta process even though I have been able to, and continue to be able to control the insteon devices using Siri.

Since others are able to get it to all work normally, it looks like the only option is to reset home kit data via AppleTV 4 running latest software, and then reset Hub running latest firmware and start from scratch with my 30+ switches/outlets and all my custom labels, automation, custom 8 way buttons, 6 way buttons, 3 way links etc.

Let’s just hope this is because we were all running iOS developer/beta software and that this won’t ever happen on the normal version. As this resetting up process will take weeks of spare time as well as setting up any other home kit devices in ones home.

To note since beta one I’ve also had an issue where Insteon+ shows the correct status of devices but in Home app it says No Response for all devices. I’m still able to control them via buttons in home siri, and can tap (i) to get it to show the status by refreshing it, but then it says no response for all 30+ devices next time i open the app. I’m working with a support rep and Insteon and Apple for sometime now trying to find a resolution.

Hopefully now with iOS out of beta a full factory reset will magically fix all of this.

iOS Version and Environment (public, beta, dev) - Tried on 3 devices, Public (iPhone 7), Beta (iPhone 6s) and Dev (iPhone 6s)
    iOS Update Method (upgrade vs clean install) Both (New iPhone 7 and the 2 iPhone 6s were upgraded OTA)
    Phone Carrier - Verizon
    Hub FW Version (navigate to "http://{hub IP address}/settings") 1.0.7
    Is the hub working with the iOS10 "Home" app? Yes
    Troubleshooting Steps Taken (app re-install, HomeKit reset, hub reset, etc.) See above.

After talking with Insteon Support since they recommended reseting everything I did. Reset the hub and AppleTV Homekit Data and uninstalled the app to start from scratch. Added the hub again and added an outlet and a switch. So far no issue with the app crashing and its no longer showing "No Response". Hopefully that doesn't return after adding the remaining 30+ devices which will take quite some time as well as all the custom configutation.
    Last edited by cchiera; 09-20-2016, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Spoke to soon. After adding a few more devices on a new iPhone 7 (after doing a complete reset of apple homekit data and hub) while it no longer has the "No Response" issue, I happened to check the Insteon+ app it once again is crashing on open. Home app is working and the devices I've setup so far are working and Insteon via siri is working etc, just no the app in 10.0.1 after adding items. Hopefully a Insteon+ update is in the works to address this.

Comment

I don't think this is caused by another app, as Insteon+ is the only HomeKit app I have currently. I run a complete HomeSeer setup in my house, but have been 100% long before the original iPod was launched so I was very tempted to try out HomeKit. I currently have a very small setup, with just the Insteon Hub Pro and 10 switches moved over to it for testing. I still believe that this crash has to do with changes in two-factor authentication in iOS 10, as the only way I could restore my setup was resting my two-factor authentication with Apples servers. I also don't think it has anything to do with the iOS 10 Beta, as I never ran it.

Steps Taken:

1. Delete Insteon+ App
        2. Reset HomeKit from ATV4
        3. Reset Two-Factor Authentication with Apple (I had to wait three days before I could turn this back on for remote access)
        4. Re-install Insteon+
        5. Reset Insteon Hub Pro to Factory Defaults
        6. Setup Home in Insteon+ App (At this point I had a working Insteon+ App and Home App, but no remote access)
        7. Turn on Two-Factor Authentication after the three day wait period
        8. Sign out of iCloud on the ATV4
        9. Remove ATV4 from my iCloud Account Verified Devices
        10. Sign ATV4 back into iCloud

This was an absolute mess, and I am glad I am still only in the testing phase of my HomeKit integration. If I had to redo my whole house with close to 100 switches it would have taken weeks.

Comment

I can also confirm that not currently using any other Homekit apps or homekit products. After doing all the resets as noted in my posted above, I added all devices and automations using only one app, iOS 10s Home app and the issue occurs. I previously had setup using the Insteon+ app and had the same result. I'm going to do a full factory reset on everything once again (appletv homekit data, all the devices, the hub, etc) and try to once again isolate exactly when the crash first happens. Since iOS of course creates a crash log anytime an app crashes, and you can get that data on your computer by hooking it up to itunes and pressing a few buttons on the phone, I'm surprised Insteon hasn't asked for the Insteon Crash log as that would be the first thing I as Insteon would want to see just like its the first thing Apple asks for when filing a bug report at bugreport.apple.com. I also see to

Comment

Good detective work. I'm assuming when you add an automation to Home, that only Insteon+ crashes and not Elegato Eve? Assuming that is the case hopefully Insteon is watching this and will be able to update the app so it can work with the Homekit data apple is using wht creating automations in 10.0.1. Or if adding an Automation to Home in 10.0.1 causes Elegato Eve to crash as well then sounds like it may be something Apple needs to fix.

UPDATE-

Checked and Home app allows the creationg of 4 types of Automations 1) My Location Changes 2) A Time of Day Occurs 3) An Accessory is Controlled 4) A sensor detects something. I can't test #4 because I don't have any non insteon homekit devices, but tried #1 and Insteon+ opens fine. Deleted and tried #3 and insteon opens fine. Deleted and tried #2 "A Time of Day Occurs" and Insteon Crashes.

So appears Insteon+ in paritcular is having trouble reading the data of automations relating to time (hours/sunrise/sunset).

It's suggested to try creating those in Insteon+ but I don't believe Insteon supports all the advance automations Home does such as sunrise/sunset,
            Last edited by cchiera; 09-22-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
              HomeKit apps written for iOS 9 did not support Sunrise/Sunset, nor did they support scheduling one or more devices vs. scheduling a scene, both of which are available in iOS 10's Home app.
              I've been using Insteon+ with iOS 10 through all the betas (with sunrise/sunset automations) and this Insteon crash on start only seems to have just started with 10.0.1. But yes, hopefully Insteon creates a version officially for iOS 10 if they haven't already launched that will hopefully will resolve this.

Forgot to add to my last post that able to add "Scenes" in home app without causing an Insteon crash either. Trying a few other things as well just to make sure to issue is only isolated 10.0.1+ time related automations and have updated Apple in the developer bug reporter with the updated info as well incase their is an issue on their end as well assuming Elegato and/or other apps are experiencing the same crashing issue in 10.0.1 when home time automations are used.

Comment

Yup, soon as I delete time related automations in Home, Insteon+ loads again. Just wish I had read these last few posts before I did a factory reset haha. Nice work though!

Comment

I can confirm that I have had the same problem. As soon as I would open the Insteon+ app it would immediately crash. It would run up to the point where I gave it permission to access HomeKit and then it would have this instant crash problem.

To answer the requested questions:

Device Model: iPhone 6
                  iOS Version and Environment: iOS 10.0.1 and 10.0.2, Public
                  iOS Update Method: upgrade
                  Phone Carrier: Verizon
                  Hub FW Version: not quite figuring this one out
                  Is the hub working with the iOS10 "Home" app? Yes
                  Troubleshooting Steps Taken: I re-installed the app, I restarted my iPhone, I upgraded to 10.0.2

I can confirm that deleting the time related automations made my app functional.

Comment

That's great news, that the 10.1 dev build is fixing a lot of issues. I had stopped using the dev build when public release launched since assumed the problems stems from using the developer version, but will try going back to the dev build to test and see if that resolves all the issues and then downgrade when 10.1 eventually becomes public. Wondering if Home's that have multiple members in the home app, if all users have to be on 10.1 or just one. Will test.

Update --------

Looks like 10.1 actually is available through the public beta, so no need to install the developer beta as of this writing.

I upgraded my phone to the 10.1 public beta on my device and left my spouses device at the stable public release 10.0.2 who is a member of the family through the home app. Added a time automation and insteon didn't crash. Yay! At quick glance it doesn't appear to fix any of the other issues such as "No Response" status appearing, incorrect status on some items (even in Insteon App), and when creating an automation where one device change should change another isn't working still. But now that on 10.1 will try various testing to see if can get any of those items working such as reseting devices, removing homekit data, removing and or upgrading the other family members phone version etc, to see if any of that helps. Otherwise assume will require another update from Apple and or Insteon to the app and or firmware.

UPDATE -

Spoke too soon. When installing 10.1 at first was able to add automations and open Insteon however later tonight noticed Insteon was crashing again (with automations in Home). Deleting the automatons fixes the issue again. So it seems that the same crashing issue exists in 10.1 so may still require an update from the Insteon app. To note tvOS is running the stable version 10.0 (not the beta 10.0.1) not sure if that tvOS beta is required to fix this issue?
                    Last edited by cchiera; 09-26-2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Correct, public and dev usually are not a match, just wanted to let others know they can use the more easily accessibly public beta rather than the developer beta to get 10.1 currently.

In regards to the automation, it can be anything time related. Right now I have none I but can create one that says for example time of day, and use the default time and default week days and select a scene and insteon crashes. I can also do that but instead of selecting a scene just select a single light, and same issue. So like with 10.0.1 it can apparently be anything. The main difference being when I first installed it, I was able to create a few without it crashing, but now it happens everytime like in 10.0.1. Let me know if there is anything you'd like tested or if Insteon would like the Insteon crash log that iPhones create and store when Insteon crashes.

Yes, already have had 2 factor enabled all year so unfortunately that doesn't solve in the issue in this case. Also tried disabling,renabling, even tried going back to 2 step authentication just to rule that out, but no luck either. Currently back using 2 factor, but I can continue that discussion on a separate thread.

Nope, standard router step here Asus RT-AC5300, no firewall on it, just the default settings. No homebrew VPN, no multiple DHCP servers, and nothing else special. Just the standard router and modem, with some Nest products, Apple devices and the Insteon devices.

Update - as of 9:05am EST

So actually am able to add some time related events without crashing. I added one based on sunset that then activated a scene and that doesn't crash the insteon app. So it seems in my brief testing "Sunrise" and "Sunset" automations now work in 10.1 (compared to 10.0.1) but that any automation based on a set time (like 5pm) still kills the Insteon app. Can you confirm you are able to add time related automations (other than sunset/sunrise) without crashing in 10.1)? However, tried creating "An Accessory is Controlled" again and that appears to be working now other than a minor couple second delay.
                      Last edited by cchiera; 09-27-2016, 06:11 AM.

Comment

I have the same problem with the Insteon+ app crashing

Device Model iPhone 7
                        iOS Version and Environment (public, beta, dev) iOS 10.0.2 public
                        iOS Update Method (upgrade vs clean install) upgrade
                        Phone Carrier AT&t
                        Hub FW Version (navigate to "http://{hub IP address}/settings") 5.0.6 , server 1.0.7
                        Is the hub working with the iOS10 "Home" app? Yes and other apps
                        Troubleshooting Steps Taken (app re-install, HomeKit reset, hub reset, etc.)

Reinstalled Insteon app, logged out & in iCloud, rebooted phone. Did not reset HomeKit database or restore Insteon+ bridge.
                        Insteon+ app crashes with any time event created with Apple’s Home app.
                        Insteon+ app does not crash when the time event is created with Insteon+, iDevices or non-Apple Home , M. Hochgatterer, app.

If I create a time event for 12:00 PM and when asked name it I use: Noon Trigger
                        Apple HomeKit app does not ask for a name, it names the time event as: 12 00 PM Daily
                        The non-Apple Home app, @burtella, it names the time event as: Noon Trigger
                        The iDevices app does not ask for a name, it names the time event as: Trigger 2ED72FFA

Apple’s sunrise and sunset shows up as a logic “condition” not as a trigger in the non-Apple Home app. Sunrise and sunset does not show up in other HomeKit device vendors apps. Only in Apple’s Home app can I use Sunrise or Sunset as a trigger.

Other HomeKit device vendors apps do not crash when I set time events in Apple’s Home app.

Comment

I am having this exact same issue. I also believe it's related to the 2-factor authentication. Insteon+ app crashes on startup on my iPhone 7 with 2-factor authentication activated. My wife has an iPhone 7 and iPad with iOS 10.0.2 without 2-factor authentication set up and both will run the Insteon+ app without crashing. My older iPad Mini with iOS 9.3.5 (no 2-factor authentication as implemented in iOS 10) will also run the Insteon+ app.

I am also having the issue with the iOS 10 not showing the status of devices on the Favorite screens in Home or control center. If I tap on the devices in the Favorites screen in Home and control center they will refresh and show the status, but it's annoying to have to do that every time. I'm also having the issue with the Watch discussed in the other thread. I think all these issues are related, perhaps to 2-factor authentication being incompatible with the Hub Pro and the Insteon+ app. It's really a shame because the new iOS was in beta for months so they had time to figure out these and fix these issues before release, but they didn't.

I went through on the reset steps per support, but the issues persist, so it's clearly a bug that Insteon needs to fix.
                          ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
                          iOS devices
                          Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

Just to reiterate from my earlier posts, I've tested with 2 factor on and off and doesn't resolve the issue in my case. Also as noted I'm using the latest beta, and while it momentarily appeared to resolve the crashing issue, it quickly returned so this is still something that needs to be addressed. As noted, in the latest beta sunrise/sunset works and Insteon+ opens but using a time automation such as something happening at 5PM causes Insteon+ to crash on the latest beta. And yes, the No Response issue noted by flmmkr which has occurred through all the betas still occurs in the latest beta. Going to try getting the hub pro exchanged to rule out it being a faulty hub, and if thats not the issue that will have to await an software/firmware update from Insteon and or Apple.

Comment

Ok, yes, I see that now. Per your suggestion in the other thread I deleted the automations in the Home app and Insteon+ now works. Must have been a coincidence with the 2-factor authentication. Admittedly, I had done everything at the same time, and was told by Insteon support the following last Wednesday:

"Hello Mike,
                              Yes, your schedules will be synced to the Home App.
                              This is how I would recommend setting up the system (solely set the schedules on the Home App).
                              Is your Insteon + App still crashing? The issue on the scheduling for the HomeKit system was expected to fix this App crash.
                              Please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue and I will forward this info to our developers."

That was last I heard from them and I've sent 2 emails requesting further help since, but no response. Seems like that person was wrong about where to set the schedules (at least until the bug is fixed) and that the scheduled maintenance was supposed to fix the app crashing.

Can you say if the developer beta fixes the status issue with Favorites in the Home app?
                              ISY994izw + Raspberry Pi running Homebridge
                              iOS devices
                              Approx. 60 Insteon devices

Comment

@filmkr Just incase you missed the earlier posts, yes the "No Response" issue persists even with the latest developer beta. Which in my case and others happens on the favorites and individual rooms and anywhere else the accessories are showing such as pulling up from the bottom of the iPhone screen or on Apple Watch. However, as noted no one it seems have been able to track down exactly what is causing it, and could be different things, so for some there is always a chance whatever is causing it on your particular phone may be resolved but a newer beta, but in my case and others I've spoken with that is not currently the case. Let us know if upgrading or any other actions does resolve it for you so we can test as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X