Starting Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Out

I want to install Insteon switches and eventually replace all my light and fan switches. I do have an Amazon Echo which is what is prompting me to start now rather than later. I apologize for any questions that may seem basic to everyone, but I really don't know where to begin. I do know that I need the hub. In my kitchen, I have one "box" that has two switches - one for an outside light and one for the kitchen light. I understand I would need to replace both at the same time. There's also another switch on a different wall that also turns on the same kitchen light. Would that need to be replaced at the same time since they both operate one light? And, in the other rooms, there's a "box" (two switches) that operate a ceiling fan with a light. Would I be able to use two Insteon switches - one for the fan and one for the light? I assume that I would need to buy the dual band on/off switch and not the dimmer since none of my lights in the house dim. I appreciate any help, and forgive me for my ignorance on this subject. Thank you.
    Last edited by brefri; 06-24-2016, 12:52 PM.

You will have to use an Insteon Switch for both of the ones controlling the same kitchen light. You do not have to change the one for the outside light but maybe easier to do both while you are working on the electrical box with both in it. You probably will want to control the outside light anyway.

Comment

If the lights are dimmable (e.g., incandescent), then you may want to use dimmers. On/Off Insteon switches click, dimmers are silent. Also On/Off switches are deeper making the a bit more difficult to install.

In any case, in a 3-way configuration (2 switches controlling on light) only one Insteon device actually connects to the load, so you can use a dimmer in at least one location (the one that does not connect to the load).

The usual method for controlling both a fan and light is to use a FanLinc plus a 6-button keypad. The will give you dimming control of the light and speed adjustment for the fan. In that case, the lights must be dimmable. I'm using dimmable LED bulbs for my fan/light combinations.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

just to add to your question:

[QUOTE]And, in the other rooms, there's a "box" (two switches) that operate a ceiling fan with a light. Would I be able to use two Insteon switches - one for the fan and one for the light? [/QUOTE]

yes, you can use one On-Off switch for the fan and a dimmer or On-Off switch for the light... but you will not have the control for fan speed like you would by going with the FanLinc method outlined by Stu
        Hub 2245-222, ID 46.F7.AE, Prod
        Insteon for Hub App v1.15.4 build 334
        53 Insteon devices

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful advice! I will be placing my order and starting the transition.

Comment

Working...
          X