Phase Bridging or Interference related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phase Bridging or Interference related?

I have a Hub that can fully communicate with a Switch when they're on the same circuit but can't communicate at all when they're on different circuits. This lead me to believe that I have split-phase wiring in my house and, since I wanted my Hub located in my basement, I started looking into repeaters and phase bridges. I ended up purchasing a dual-band Outlet, because it allegedly works like a repeater, and wired it to the same circuit as the switch. With this setup, messages from the Hub reach the Switch and I can toggle it on and off, and scenes/schedules work correctly. But the status of the Switch is not being communicated back to the Hub, however the Hub accurately receives the status of the Outlet and can toggle it on and off just as it can the Switch.

Devices in question:

- Insteon Hub Central Controller 2245-222
    - Insteon Remote Control On/Off Switch, Toggle - White 2466SW
    - Insteon On/Off Outlet 2663-292

I can probably disconnect the Outlet and then try the Hub on other circuits to determine if it's phase related but regardless I'd like to resolve the communication issue without relocating my Hub.

Any troubleshooting suggestions or other thoughts on the matter?

One typical problem is if the HUB or other Insteon automation controller is on the same power circuit as the computing equipment.
    The power line filters in such things as Computers and UPS units can absorb the Insteon power line commands as noise. leaving all the messaging to Insteon RF that can be very distance and obstructions sensitive.
    If you have the HUB on the same circuit as the computing equipment. A FilterLinc on the computing equipment may help.
    That is how I have my ISY994i's PLM connected. UPS with computer on the filtered outlet and the PLM in the unfiltered pass through outlet on the front.

You may also want to try an extension cord on the HUB so it can be powered by a different circuit as a test to see if there are power line signal issues on the one you are using now.

Comment

Thanks, that makes sense for the Hub to Switch configuration and why they couldn't talk to each other on different circuit. I can definitely try moving the Hub to different circuits or removing devices to see if my issues are phase or interference related. That being said, it doesn't really explain why the Switch can't talk to the Hub through the Outlet. Presumably the Outlet is acting as a relay because without it the Switch and Hub can't talk at all in the currently configuration.

Is there any way to do a trace or diagnose what's actually happening with communications between various devices?

Last edited by cptskippy; 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X