Do the 2477D dimmer switch and the 2334 dimmer keypad support dimming LEDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the 2477D dimmer switch and the 2334 dimmer keypad support dimming LEDs

I am contemplating using 2477D dimmers and a few 2334 dimmer keypads in a kitchen remodel.
    Both of these only claim to be able to dim incandescent loads - I have seen vague anecdotal reports that they do work with some LED loads.
    Is there a definitive answer to this or do I just have to buy one and "try it and see"?
    I am specifically interested in dimming Halo RL4 LED units which are about 8.5W and which I know from experience dim satisfactorily (down to about 15%) with Lutron CL dimmers.

I also have a question about the 2334 dimmer keypad (6 button version) - it seems that this ships with a factor default configuration where the local load is controlled by the On and Off buttons on the keypad. Can this association be changed? Specifically can I *remove* the local dimmer from being a responder to the "On" button and, if so, do I need to have a hub in order to set that up?
    (The issue here is that the lights that will be connected directly to the 2334 are not ones that I will want to be part of the "default scene".)

I'm successfully controlling dimmable LEDs with both 2477D dimmers ans 2334 dimmer keypads, but it s a "try it and see" situation. Some brands work better than others, but manufacturers sometimes change the components and circuitry, usually but not always for the better.

The [url="http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/lighting/products/documents/halo/spec_sheets/halo-rl4-td518011en-sss.pdf"]Halo RL4 LED specifications[/url] indicates that it works with leading edge dimmers. Insteon dimmers are leading edge.

It is not required that you connect a load to any Insteon device, but you cannot separate the wired load from the button. If you don't want those lights in the "default scene," then don't include the On/Off buttons in that scene.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n86457]
      It is not required that you connect a load to any Insteon device, but you cannot separate the wired load from the button. If you don't want those lights in the "default scene," then don't include the On/Off buttons in that scene.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks, that's a pity - I realize that I don't have to connect a load to the dimmer keypad, but it seems a bit wasteful since I *do* need a dimmer at that location, just not one that is permanently associated with the "on" button on the keypad. I wonder if setting the "Local-On" level to 3% would be close enough to having the desired effect. If I understand correctly that would mean that the "on" button would only bring the wired load up to 3% brightness but I could still set it to arbitrary levels in other scenes.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean that the dimmer is not, "permanently associated with the "on" button on the keypad." Specifically, what is it that you want to accomplish.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I will have several dimmers and keypads.

I want to be able to treat the "on" button on each keypad as a scene controller but I do not necessarily want that scene to include the light that just happens to be physically wired to the dimmer which is physically co-located with the keypad.

Suppose that I have 2 keypads and 4 dimmers, controlling 6 separate lighting circuits thus:

Keypad 1 -> Light 1
          Keypad 2 -> Light 2
          Dimmer 1 -> Light 3
          Dimmer 2 -> Light 4
          Dimmer 3 -> Light 5
          Dimmer 4 -> Light 6

The keypads are at the two entrances to the kitchen. The dimmers are located at various points inside the kitchen.

Suppose that I want to program both of the keypads so that the nice big friendly "On" button at the top of the keypad activates a scene consisting only of Light 3 and Light 5 at 50% brightness. Is this possible?

The lights connected to the keypad dimmers (1 and 2) will be used in other scenes, just not the one controlled by the "On" button.

Comment

If you want the On/Off button pair to control lights other than that wired to the load (red) wire, then cap the load wire (i.e., don't connect it to anything). Then cross-link the On/Off button pair to the devices that you do want controlled. How you do that depends on what you are using to create Insteon scenes (e.g., manually, a Hub, an ISY, software, etc.).

Comment

Thanks. that was what I had gathered from your previous replies.

The fact that there is no way to simply remove the local dimmer from being a responder to the "on" button is still annoying and seems to be a misfeature since the dimmer and keypad are logically separate devices. The problem is that, if I don't use the dimmer associated with the keypad then I have to but another two dimmers and the dimmer keypad just becomes an expensive wall mounted keypad.

Anyway it is what it is and I will just have to live with it since, in every other respect, the Insteon dimmers and other components seem to do pretty much exactly what you want.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

One final question - I have searched for some concise documentation that describes the actual capabilities of the various components and, in particular provides accurate descriptions of the terminology "controller, responder, scene etc" and things like precisely what it means to "create" a scene or to "activate" it. Some of this can be gleaned from reading through the descriptions of how to set up individual devices and in descriptions of the hub software but surely there must be some kind of reasonably well structured reference manual somewhere that has all of this information in it.

Comment

There are some Insteon White Papers documents that may give you some added information here.
                [url]http://www.insteon.com/technology/[/url]

Comment

Working...
                X