Coming back to Insteon after 4 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming back to Insteon after 4 years

I am going to be a homeowner again, and excited to get to have any insteon system back in my home. When I had my old system it wasn't dual band like today. I placed an order for several new items which will blend in with my older insteon stuff. Will I need to still use my access points, or will the dual band stuff handle that? Thanks very much.

If you have a dual band device close enough to an RF only device you shouldn't need another access point as it will act as an access point... hope that answers your question
    Hub 2245-222, ID 46.F7.AE, Prod
    Insteon for Hub App v1.15.4 build 334
    53 Insteon devices

Comment

Thanks, I was really more interested in my old switches. Sounds like I will still need to use the access points for them.

Comment

If the new Dual Band devices can communicate with each other and couple the phases.
        The Access Points may not be needed.
        If the new Dual Band modules resent Insteon Commands on the power lines. Are received by the older power line only modules.
        The Dual Band modules act just like Access Points.
        Most Dual Band devices have a built in Communications {Beacon} test so you can see how they are reaching each other.

Comment

A goal is to place two dual-band devices on opposite legs of the split, [I]single-phase[/I] electric supply as close to the panel as possible. Once that's accomplished additional dual-band device serve to increase the reliability and range of the Insteon network.

Is the panel labelled? If so, the first goal will be easier. Is the new home available for you to start installing devices?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks very much for the detailed responses, I had hoped to be in the house this weekend, but won't get possession of the house tell early next week.

Comment

I started putting in my older insteon stuff this weekend, and had some communication issues with the access points installed. I added a couple dual band switches and the system in rock solid. Loving being back in insteon and ISY. I have about 30 more items to install, and can't wait.

Comment

If the Access Points are any hardware revision 2.0 and above.
                They have the same basic PLM board in them and have the same capacitor failures the 2413S hardware revisions below 2.0 had.
                I replaced the capacitors in mine to repair them.

Comment

Which access points?
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                  Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
                  X