Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a Homekit-enabled hub? Here's why your schedules don't work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Homekit-enabled hub? Here's why your schedules don't work.

I'll try to save you months of frustration and confusion with this quick post: If you have the Homekit-enabled Insteon Hub (2243-222) and are pulling your hair out about why your schedules don't work when you're not home, here's why: [B]HOMEKIT REQUIRES YOUR DAMN DEVICE TO TRIGGER SCHEDULES AND NOT THE HUB ITSELF[/B]

You heard me right: Rather than configuring your hub to schedule scenes, it actually uses your device. This works fine if you're home (and I guess by design), but when you're not home, it doesn't work. So all those schedules you set up for when you're not home (to make it look like you're home) fail to activate. Automatic lights at night, when you're not home - forget it.

According to the Insteon dudes, this is a limitation by Apple and Homekit.

I wish I would have seen this somewhere, as I've been pulling my hair out for months, trying to figure out what's wrong. I actually found this out from the guy at the Smarthome retail store.

I replaced my hub with an ISY 994i and within hours, I had everything set up SO much better. Virtual 3-way switches, changing the brightness of the LED on my Insteon switches, and even triggering playing Sonos from an Insteon keypad button. Wish I would have dumped the Homekit hub months ago, or at least someone telling me about this very boneheaded move by Apple!

Apparently, you can have a Homekit hub working in tandem with something like ISY (to maintain Siri integration), though the hubs won't stay in sync. I have yet to try this, but figured I'd throw it out there.

So my final setup is: Insteon switches, keypads and outlets, and the ISY 994i hub. Awesomesauce.

The solution to this, as I did with mine, is simply to get the out-of-home control working through your iCloud account.. Then your device, as long as you have a data connection, can execute you scenes and schedules.

I fully agree that this is stupid and the schedules should live on the hub, but it is what it is.

I also just got a USB modem to run in conjunction (through Indigo), as the Hub Pro is so incredibly underwhelming that I needed to do something to get a more complex setup. The USB Modem, while lacking Siri control via Homekit, is leaps and bounds more powerful than the Hub Pro likely ever weill be.

Comment

It doesn't make sense that your phone or ipad needs to trigger the schedule, I also ran into this issue. The HUB should defenitely do this function.
      Please INSTEON rethink this. Or when someone doesn't use homekit (I don't) then let the HUB schedule the scenes ...

Comment

Working...
      X