Consider replacing the Insteon system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider replacing the Insteon system?

Considering a replacement hub due to the previous owners' actions and the current subscription model, should I consider an alternative automation system for my new home? What challenges should I expect with integrating home automation into my new residence, and how can I overcome them?

It depends on what your goals are, what automation means to you. If you want scheduled automation and software support, you are likely going to get a subscription. There are other HA platforms.. UDI eISY, HomeSeer, Home Assistant. Like the Insteon Hub, they all have pusses and minuses depending what you are wanting to accomplish and skill level.

Having done several platform migrations with my Insteon devices, my experience is that you'll need to factory reset the devices and add them to the new system one at a time. If the Insteon Hub is still working, I would do this function by function, or room by room to lower impact on the occupants and make it more like a project that you work on as you are able.

Comment

[QUOTE=paulbates;n118556]It depends on what your goals are, what automation means to you. If you want scheduled automation and software support, you are likely going to get a subscription. There are other HA platforms.. UDI eISY, HomeSeer, Home Assistant. Like the Insteon Hub, they all have pusses and minuses depending what you are wanting to accomplish and skill level.

Having done several platform migrations with my Insteon devices, my experience is that you'll need to factory reset the devices and add them to the new system one at a time. If the Insteon Hub is still working, I would do this function by function, or room by room to lower impact on the occupants and make it more like a project that you work on as you are able.[/QUOTE]

Note: Resetting Insteon devices is not required for managing them via Home Assistant. And the current subscription model (or status of it) are irrelevant with Home Assistant.

Comment

Working...
      X