Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to trigger an alert if device won’t turn off as scheduled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to trigger an alert if device won’t turn off as scheduled?

Hi,

This is a simple question but I can’t figure out the answer.

I have an Insteon switch that controls outdoor lights which are scheduled to go on at 6pm and off at 9pm.

This is the only Insteon device at my property with this specific schedule.

For reasons unknown a small percentage of the time this Insteon switch does not turn off as scheduled and these lights stay on.

How can I set an alert (text & email) to notify me when these lights are still on after 9pm?

Thanks!

I can think of 3 possible reasons:

1- The switch is far away from the nearest Insteon device or hub. As good as Insteon communication is, it can't overcome being too far away and works intermittently

2- The load you are controlling is noisy, like a 12v landscape light step down transformer. There's no noise when you turn the switch on, but once turned on the noise overwhelms the switches communication and it can't switch off... based on what you wrote, this one seems likely.

3- Are there any other schedules that also switch off at exactly 9pm? Insteon communications are very good but not infallible. One thing that can happen when multiple schedules execute at the exact same time is that Insteon communication between the multiple devices responding to the schedules interferes with each other. If that outdoor switch is further away on the network that would also be reason

Do any of these seem possible? If so, there could be things to try based on your answer.

Comment

Working...
    X