INSTEON THERMOSTAT - adding a third feature to the Fan button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INSTEON THERMOSTAT - adding a third feature to the Fan button

INSTEON THERMOSTAT - FAN button - adding a third feature to the Fan button ("Repeat cycle timer")

For the entire year in Florida, my HVAC system is always set between 72 to 75 degree but when the outside temperature is about the same as inside, my HVAC system will barely turn on therefore the air inside the house become stagnant specially at night when all windows and doors are closed.
    I really don't like having the ceiling fan on but surely prefer the HVAC system fan to run all night ( "ALWAYS ON" mode). So How do I keep my bill cheap and prolong my HVAC system life?.

Beside the existing Insteon Thermostat "FAN" button ( "Auto" and "Always On" ) options, I want a new third option ("Repeat cycle timer") that will turn ON the HVAC system FAN for a predetermined duration (ex 15min) and than keep the Fan off for another predetermined duration (ex 20min) and this process will keep repeating until Fan button is changed to another mode.

This new ("Repeat cycle timer") feature will prolong the HVAC fan life and save more electricity as opposed to "ALWAYS ON" mode.

I believe, this is a simple solution to implement by adding a few line of codes to the thermostat firmware.

If not , I have all the parts I need to implement this as an external HW to the thermostat. With a few HW logic,it is easy to turn on the Fan using a timer with repeat function. Cost for parts under $10.00.

NO thermostat has this feature. I will share this idea with other companies and once I have my external HW working, I will share it also alone with my " How to convert Insteon Straight Cool Thermostat to Heat Pump Thermostat" . HW cost under $7.00.

Last edited by rjadotte001; 12-15-2016, 10:26 PM.
Working...
X