Insteon RF / WiFi Transponder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon RF / WiFi Transponder

Given the increase of Smartphones, Software Apps, Blue Tooth BLE, WiFi, etc. People have been trying for years to *Accurately* inform the automated house that a user is home. People have with varying success, used Mobilinc and similar Apps to accomplish this goal. I would like to see Smartlabs come out with either a high power Insteon RF beacon or WiFi module to accomplish the same goal.

Because this is a dedicated device for Insteon it would ideally work perfectly to determine Away, Home, Specific User(s), etc. I envision these mini remote to be rechargeable which is placed in the vehicle or on a person like a key chain. There would be two parts to this device one being the personal identifier tag and the other a plug in transceiver device.

This device would be user programmable to search, ping, wake up the identifier tag. This would ensure long battery life of the identifier tag and also provide some measure of security. It goes with out saying some type of hand shake would be required to keep the device secure and safe.

Other features based on the users identifier, time of use, schedules, activation levels, would be some key features of this device. Since this is a the identifier tag is a transceiver the unit would have one or several buttons also to activate other related Insteon features or products.

I truly believe this product could be applied in many ways for the end user.

NOTE: Should any Insteon user see the benefit of this idea please do select the *LIKE* button. As this will show Smartlabs the level of interest for this product idea.

Teken . . .
    Last edited by Teken; 11-26-2014, 02:43 PM.
    Teken . . .

I don't understand why the hub can't do this using your smartphone wifi connection... The hub is connected to the network, why can't it tell when a certain mac address leaves the network and trigger an "Away" scene

Comment

Originally posted by wepiii View Post
      I don't understand why the hub can't do this using your smartphone wifi connection... The hub is connected to the network, why can't it tell when a certain mac address leaves the network and trigger an "Away" scene
      The Hub is a low cost, entry level device. If you need more features, then you may want to consider a more costly device or devices.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post

The Hub is a low cost, entry level device. If you need more features, then you may want to consider a more costly device or devices.
        I get that, but it is still connected to your network. It seems like an easy software only upgrade that would enable you to set what ip address your cell phone wifi was connected to. If it is connected, trigger "arrived home" scene. If it disconnects, trigger "away" scene. I don't think that the device should be limited only because of its cost. The hub hardware is enough to support this functionality....

Comment

Originally posted by AngelArs

Isn't this what geofencing does?
          Yes, but relies on a person having a smartphone. Having a dedicated small form factor (beacon) tag would allow any person, device, vehicle. Be identified and the appropriate Insteon response could be had and seen.

Ultimately I am looking for something that doesn't require everyone to have a phone on their person etc. With the issues seen with switching between cell to WiFi the geo location is rarely ever accurate or timely. With a personal tag the only purpose of this device is to be detected which is purpose built to send and receive.
          Teken . . .

Comment

Like stusviews said in March 2014 "The Hub is a low cost, entry level device. If you need more features, then you may want to consider a more costly device or devices." INSTEON IS NOT HERE TO INNOVATE. They are quite satisfied with what they have. 2 months ago I heard the same line from an insteon tech support person. Insteon could be a great company but they dont believe in innovation. I will say that 90% of people will buy insteon products because home automation is a new adventure and they are cheapest to buy and simple to setup. Once these people get the taste of it and have the extra money, they will quickly realize that they will need something better, something that is smart and that they can truly call real home automation. Another word, insteon doesn't want to compete with the big boys. They want to stay simple for the 90% of people who doesn't know better yet.

Comment

My comment was intended specifically for the Hub, not the Insteon protocol nor any other Insteon device. Insteon devices are very sophisticated. Most other HA devices don't even come close. Coupled with an advanced Insteon manager/controller such as an ISY, there's very little that can't be done.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
              X