Audible alert device or a way to produce sounds on PC with HomeLinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audible alert device or a way to produce sounds on PC with HomeLinc

I would love to have a device that could produce a chime or a message such as "back door opened" when triggered by an open/close sensor. I had functionality like that with a Honeywell home security system a number of years ago and would love to be able to do something similar with my Insteon setup.

Insteon BuzzLinc
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The 'BuzzLinc' looks good, but is there such a thing as a plug-in buzzer or siren, without having to do some wiring (albeit simple wiring!), to use with the on/off plugin appliance module?

Comment

As a new user the lack of a siren/audible alert device seems to be a no-brainer. This is one reason the iSmart Alarm was a close contender.

Comment

If they were still developing HouseLinc, it would be really easy to add a "play a .wav file" triggerable event...

That said, I would like some Insteon dual-band chime modules. Buzzlinc works, but it's not dual-band, and piezo buzzers are kind of annoying. I'm still using X10 chime modules plugged into ApplianceLincs!
          Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
          Insteon Programming: http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/insteon.html

Comment

A new dual band I/O is in the works so this will address that issue. Sadly, the front outlet will be sacrificed as it will use the same form factor as the newer Smoke Bridge, Lamp Linc, Range Extenders.
            Teken . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Teken View Post
              A new dual band I/O is in the works so this will address that issue. Sadly, the front outlet will be sacrificed as it will use the same form factor as the newer Smoke Bridge, Lamp Linc, Range Extenders.
              Any word on this dual-band I/O link? I was about to make a thread asking for one. I have a detached garage using a separate electrical panel, but I want to connect it to my system.

Comment

Plug a Range Extender into the pass-through outlet, Voila, a dual-band I/O Linc. BTW, if the panel is a sub-panel, then you should not have communication difficulty.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by ocdtrekkie View Post

Any word on this dual-band I/O link? I was about to make a thread asking for one. I have a detached garage using a separate electrical panel, but I want to connect it to my system.
                  There is no ETA at the moment but would *guess* its pending release in 2015. Essentially, I believe all the devices will have the same form factor which saves material costs since one common housing is being used. The added bonus is they look much cleaner and less obnoxious when plugged into a wall.

As Stu indicated you could replicate the same by using a AP / Range Extender and plugging it into the front facing outlet port.
                  Teken . . .

Comment

Working...
                  X