Lower Standby Power Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Standby Power Usage

My typical Insteon wall keypad or switch seems to use 0.6 watts in standby. I have other devices with more modern power supplies that use less than 0.1w. I'd like the power consumption to be improved as my setup costs me over $300 a year in extra power costs. That's money that could go to buying yet more modules.

There's a lot changed with i3 models, I'm wondering what the draw is on them.?

Comment

Originally posted by paulbates View Post
      There's a lot changed with i3 models, I'm wondering what the draw is on them.?
      So far I haven't had need of an I3 model. The most recent On/Off module tests at 0.2w standby, 0.4w with the relay down. That's better than the 0.6w standby draw from a keypad. The relay down draw is important since I use them as E-Boots on some devices. On the plus side, I just put a dimmer module on my recirculating pump and saved about 15w without loosing functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post

So far I haven't had need of an I3 model. The most recent On/Off module tests at 0.2w standby, 0.4w with the relay down. That's better than the 0.6w standby draw from a keypad. The relay down draw is important since I use them as E-Boots on some devices. On the plus side, I just put a dimmer module on my recirculating pump and saved about 15w without loosing functionality.
        Can you tell me how you measured it? I'm putting in several I3 paddles in the near future and have a volt meter, I could do it if I knew the steps.

Comment

Originally posted by paulbates View Post

Can you tell me how you measured it? I'm putting in several I3 paddles in the near future and have a volt meter, I could do it if I knew the steps.
          I'm using a watt meter plug (like Kill-a-watt) with 0.1w accuracy. For the switches I just temporarily hook a coord to them and plug them in to it.

Comment

0.6 watts per device is certainly higher than many modern devices, and can add up to a significant cost over time. Here are some options to consider:

1. Explore alternative solutions:
            • Smart switches with lower power consumption: Look for smart switches from other brands that offer lower standby power usage. Some popular options like Lutron Caseta and Leviton Decora switches claim standby power below 0.1 watts.
            • Z-Wave devices: Z-Wave technology generally boasts lower power consumption than Insteon. Consider switching to Z-Wave switches and hubs for potentially lower energy bills.

2. Modify your Insteon setup:
            • Automate power down: Use the Insteon Hub's automation features to automatically turn off unused lights and devices controlled by the keypads after a certain period of inactivity. This can significantly reduce standby power consumption.
            • Reduce keypad usage: Consider replacing keypads with simpler switches in less frequently used areas. This may not be ideal for every location, but could save some power in specific rooms.

3. Contact Insteon:
            • Report the issue: Let Insteon know about your concerns regarding high standby power consumption. They might be aware of the issue and working on solutions, or your feedback could help them prioritize future development efforts.
            • Request low-power options: Ask them if they have plans to release new switches with lower standby power consumption. While they might not have an immediate answer, expressing interest could influence their future product development.

4. Consider the trade-offs:
            • Switching systems: Switching to a different ecosystem involves upfront costs and potential compatibility issues. Weigh the potential long-term energy savings against the cost and inconvenience of changing systems.
            • Modifying your setup: Reducing keypad usage might limit your smart home functionality. Automate power down effectively to minimize impact on convenience.

Ultimately, the best course of action depends on your specific needs, budget, and tolerance for inconvenience. I hope this information helps you make an informed decision about addressing the power consumption of your Insteon devices.

Comment

Totally understand your frustration! High standby power is a pain, especially with Insteon's larger footprint. Here are some options:

Reduce Device Use:
              • Automate lights/scenes to minimize constant standby: Only have devices "on" when needed.
              • Swap frequently used switches for newer models: Some newer Insteon devices have improved standby consumption.
              • Replace rarely used devices with battery-powered options: Batteries last longer than you might think.
              Technical Solutions:
              • Install a smart power strip: Automatically power down devices when not in use.
              • Consider an Insteon Hub power monitor: Track individual device usage and identify power hogs.
              • Explore third-party Insteon bridges: Some offer enhanced control and potentially lower power consumption.

Every watt saved adds up! Even small reductions can make a significant difference in your yearly cost.

Comment

Insteon power consumption can be a pain. Here are some options:

Reduce usage:
                • Automate lights/scenes: Avoid constant standby by turning devices on only when needed.
                • Swap switches: Newer models have improved standby usage.
                • Battery-powered options: Consider them for rarely used devices.

Technical solutions:
                • Smart power strip: Automatically power down devices.
                • Insteon Hub power monitor: Track individual use and identify power hogs.
                • Third-party bridges: Some offer enhanced control and potentially lower power consumption.

Even slight reductions add up! Remember, every watt saved means more money for additional modules.

Comment

Working...
                X