Feature Request: Scene On Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request: Scene On Support

My lighting scenes all have dimmable lights in them, but I have 3 way setups and various other things that make it a little hard to use with Alexa unless I expose it as a scene/group (ISY) so that everything stays in sync. Unfortunately, I cannot dim the scene because insteon doesn't support a scene dim or, rather a scene on percentage.

When I posted this years back on the ISY forum, I was met with a lot of pushback because of what I felt was fringe situations.

Here is how I feel it should work

Sending a % to a scene would set all devices to that %. If, in the scene, you have 3 lights, and Home and Forum go from 0/100% in a scene, but you have Insteon set to turn on to 80%, then telling the scene to go to 50% should mean that Home and Forum are set at 50% and Insteon is 40%.

If you have an on/off device in that scene, then telling the scene to be anything > 0% turns on those devices.

A side note, is there any way we can update the firmware on these devices? Even if it means pulling it out of the wall and hooking it up to a computer? I've had some older devices that respond to the "all on" and have had all on events that was suspected to be caused by a corrupt packet. I'd like to see new firmware released for devices that would remove that as well as add scene % support.

The modules do have a programming port in them.
    I have never seen a firmware update files released. By Smartlabs; Richardson and now Insteon the company.
    It needs PIC chip programmer and the file.
    The modules except battery modules. Have a power line derived power supply and the the + logic connection is the AC Line input sitting at around 120VAC. On the ones I have investigated. So it would be a big spark and shock possibility to try and program them.

Side note. The ISY994i was discontinued early this year and free company support ended I believe 06/01/2023. Paid support is one more year. There is still the end users and their vast knowledge to help you.

Comment

Thanks.

I figured a firmware update would be some sort of, remove from the power type thing. I didn't really think there would be any sort of option, just thought I'd throw that in their since I'd assume any support for the device to respond to a scene set level would probably need to be a firmware update.

Years ago I did post this over on ISY and was basically told I was an idiot because of all the silly fringe situations. Like having my pool pump in the same scene as my lights and how should the on/off of the pump work or some contrived crap like that.

I thought, since it seems insteon is "under new management" I'd give it a shot and post something.

There is really only 3 things I'd love to see with insteon switches/devices

1) OTA firmware updates
      2) Scene on level (set scene to %, not just a device)
      3) Decouple load switching from the switch itself. Then you could do some interesting things say 3 ways, or insteon/wifi bulbs that change color where you might want to have the switch turn off the scene but not cut power to the bulb itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Randell View Post
        Thanks.

I figured a firmware update would be some sort of, remove from the power type thing. I didn't really think there would be any sort of option, just thought I'd throw that in their since I'd assume any support for the device to respond to a scene set level would probably need to be a firmware update.

Years ago I did post this over on ISY and was basically told I was an idiot because of all the silly fringe situations. Like having my pool pump in the same scene as my lights and how should the on/off of the pump work or some contrived crap like that.

I thought, since it seems insteon is "under new management" I'd give it a shot and post something.

There is really only 3 things I'd love to see with insteon switches/devices

1) OTA firmware updates
        2) Scene on level (set scene to %, not just a device)
        3) Decouple load switching from the switch itself. Then you could do some interesting things say 3 ways, or insteon/wifi bulbs that change color where you might want to have the switch turn off the scene but not cut power to the bulb itself.
        Their new line is ota upgradable.

Scene support probably won't happen due to lack of consensus on what should happen. Even amongst those who created it. What 1 person wants to happen may be different than someone else. For example, while you're ok with lights turning on that should be off, someone else may want the off lights to stay off and only adjusted lights to change.

While the examples given may seem like contrived crap to you, for those affected, it's a real concern which can potentially have serious consequences. It's hard for others to respect your views of you belittle theirs.

The new line has additional capabilities that the old one doesn't. You can change from on/off to dimmer via software so I don't see why out can't be upgraded to not trigger. You can already do multi Way switching with Insteon. For my smart bulbs, I detach my load wire to keep the lights from turning off.

Comment

Working...
        X