No announcement yet.

Insteon remote that uses AAA batteries. Mini remote always dead, needs charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon remote that uses AAA batteries. Mini remote always dead, needs charging

Long time Insteon user here.
    Insteon doesn't currently have a reliable remote control product. Remember the 2440 remote control? I still have and use one. It always works. Has worked ever since Insteon rather rapidly replaced x10 in the market. My first Insteon product purchase included this remote. My original one was originally manually linked then later added to ISY as my automation expanded. A battery change is very rare and I use it multiple times every single day. It uses AAA batteries. It just works. ALWAYS WORKS for years and years and years between battery changes.

The current product is the various Insteon mini remotes. I have 3 of them. Single button and 4 button versions. They have never stayed working very long. You go to use it and it doesn't work. It needs charging. That means you can't quickly get it working. You have to take it somewhere and connect it to charge then wait for it to charge. Once charged they have never worked all that long. Months not years. They self discharge. You can even turn it's power switch off and the battery still self discharges such that when you turn it's power back on like a month or 2 later it doesn't work until you charge it again. Motion sensor batteries are replaceable and they last many times longer. As a result, I eventually tried to get more of the old 2440 remotes but those I could get were used, had button problems, and are no longer supported to add to ISY anyway. They are too outdated.

Use an app you say? That runs on a jack of all trades device that is never ready to just operate something. Not a viable substitute for a dedicated physical remote.

Use voice you say. Do I need to list all the problems with that?

A AAA battery powered physical remote just works. It is sitting right where you need it. Just reach over and push the button. You don't have to pick it up, just poke the button. You don't have to get up and go to a wall mounted controller. It doesn't get accidentally activated by sound. It doesn't depend on an internet connection. It doesn't stop working because of something outside of the insteon ecosystem. It just works. I've used programming to minimize the need for physical remotes but that only goes just so far and increases energy use. Still not a viable substitute for a physical remote that just works.
    Last edited by photon; 02-27-2023, 01:50 PM.

I have 2 of the 2342-232 4/8 button remotes and just love them. They were purchased in Jan of 2018 and I use them 6 to 8 time a day and they will be recharged in 3 to 4 months if they need it or not.
    I have not used the 2440 unit and I can't comment on its reliability.

Comment

I recommend checking Insteon's official website or contacting their customer support for the most up-to-date information on their product offerings. They will be able to provide you with accurate details regarding any mini remotes that use AAA batteries or require charging.

MyCCPay
      Last edited by Anthony56; 06-13-2023, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I am looking for help from experts on how to unlock it
        Vampire Survivors

Comment

Originally posted by photon View Post
          Long time Insteon user here.
          Insteon doesn't currently have a reliable remote control product
          Hard to argue with that. At the very least, have a remote with an easy to replace battery. I've replaced a few of the mini remote batteries and not only are the batteries hard to find, some units are better glued than others making replacing the battery a risky gamble. For something that's part of your house, like lighting control, the remotes should be maintainable for decades, and that means being able to replace the battery easily. I might argue that AAA isn't required as any standard lithium battery would be fine. If it was AAA I'd use lithium AAA to avoid leakage.

Comment

Working...
          X