Motion Detector with Range Extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Detector with Range Extender

I have a 3 story vacation home and have a motion detector on the top floor along with a hub. Works great. I want to move the motion detector to the first floor but signal strength is spotty. Can I use a range extender with the motion detector? Should I put a range extender on both the first and second floors? Will the range extender capture the RF signal from the motion detector and send it to the hub over the house wiring or does it just rebroadcast the RF sugnal.

Thanks

Range Extenders propagate both RF and power line signals. A Range Extender within reach of the MS should be sufficient if both the range Extender and Hub are not on opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. Otherwise a second Range Extender may be needed.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

To add to Stu's comments I would opt to purchase a plugin dual band lamp linc / on-off relay module as this allows you to have dual use. Where as the Range Extender (RE) only offers one function and that is to relay RF to power line & couple / bridge the homes electrical lines.

If you're going to spend money might get the most bang for your dollar, no?
      Teken . . .

Comment

Do you mean something like the Lamplinc Dual Ban Dimmer - 2457D2? I have one of these on the second floor. How do I set it up to work with the MS?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sndflea View Post
          Do you mean something like the Lamplinc Dual Ban Dimmer - 2457D2? I have one of these on the second floor. How do I set it up to work with the MS?

Thanks

That is the beauty of Insteon you don't have to do anything but plug it in to the electrical outlet! The only time you link a device to another is if you want it to control or be part of a small / larger scene.

If your only goal is to strengthen the RF range in your home you can purchase the dual band lamp linc which is Smarthome has a 20% sale and that's it. Let us all know how it goes on and what the outcome is.
          Teken . . .

Comment

I'll give it a shot the next time I'm at the house. I may pick up another module so I have them on all 3 floors. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X