New to the Community, Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Community, Please help

I recently picked up a starter kit for my new home. I have a few motion detectors, few door sensors and a couple of lamp kits. The idea is to make things a little more interactive in the house and eventually work my way into changing out some switches for the outside lights. We have recently encountered an issues with my son (2 years, 10 months) opening the front door. This has happened only when we were around right now, but we want to make sure that we are alerted when it happens. Right now we get text alerts/push notifications. My thought is we should set something up to make sure we are aware of what's going on. Let me know if the following works...

Door sensor triggers Lamp kit that will sound a siren/horn/alarm clock.... Right now the alarm just turns off when the door is closed. I would really like to make sure that we wake up if this happens at night... I'm assuming that we can make a scene that will be "night time" or something that will activate this. Being that I'm pretty new to the community, please let me know if what I'm trying to accomplish can work with what I have.

3 hidden door sensors
    2 lamp modules On/Off
    1 door/window sensor
    1 water leak sensor

Thanks

Insteon alerts are not meant to be for protection, only convenience. As a parent and grandparent of several, convenience takes a back-seat to child protection. It's up to you to child-proof your home!!

Which alarm are you using with the Insteon devices? Which device triggers the alarm?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the judgement...

If insteon doesn't provide a solution for me, you can use that in your answer. The real question is... I have a motion detector that turns on and delays the turn off for a determined amount of time. Is there a similar feature with a door sensor?

Comment

In order to accomplish a delay using the door sensor--or any other Insteon device that does not have a built in delay--requires an Insteon manager that has programming capability. There are Windows and Mac software solutions (requires that a computer be on 24/7) and a hardware solution that is OS independent (needs a browser only to set-up). The Insteon Hub cannot accomplish a delay.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

This may sound a stupid question and without knowing your particular setup, but can't you just lock the door and remove the key?

Comment

Working...
          X