Garage Door Bounce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Door Bounce

We have the Insteon 74551 Garage Door open./close sensor hooked up to our garage door. When we had the sensor working great with the first Hub. Since we have been using the Hub II, we have only had problems with this unit. Once we can finally get it connected (it took three 50 ft extensions cords to connect into the same outlet the Hub is plugged into in the basement and moving the Smoke Bridge upstairs to get it to recognize the sensor), when you close the garage door with the Insteon app, it closes great! Now morning comes and off to work and I press the garage door remote. The door goes down and proceeds to bounce open! I use the app on the iphone and it will stay closed! What's up with that? My husband does not use an iphone so he is going to have issues with the garage door. What is causing this and how do I fix it? Thanks!
    iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
    iPhone3 - "remote" IOS 6.1.6
    iPod
    Android tablet Version 4.0.4
    Hub II: 1F.66.64
    Firmware: 5679
    Bin: Hub2-V04-20140904
    PLM: 9D

2 ip cameras
    2 smoke detectors w/ smoke bridge
    1 Motion sensor
    3 keypad
    3 outlet
    4 wall switches
    1 garage door open close sensor

Check the safety sensors.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Hello, thanks for the suggestion but it is not the safety sensors. The garage door functions correctly without the INSTEON 74551 Garage Door kit, but with it plugged in the hardwired opener does not function. Oddly the remotes that came with the garage door opener function (open and close the door), however, upon closing when the sensor is "activated" it simply reopens the door. Interestingly there is no problem opening or closing the door via the iphone app.

The wiring was not changed from the factory delivered arrangement and I followed the connections defined in the owner's manual, namely it is wired to the garage door opener at the remote connections. Is this right?

In the app it was left at default - latching. Any advice on configuration to allow continued use of the app, but also include normal functioning of the door?
      iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
      iPod

2 ip cameras
      1 Motion sensor
      3 keypad
      3 outlet
      4 wall switches

Comment

Latching mode may be the culprit. For a garage door, the I/O Linc should be in momentary mode. Start with a 2 second duration.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I tried both those settings it comes up with an "error saving settings. Please try again" Is the garage door meant to be unplugged when doing this? Any new suggestions?
          iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
          iPod

2 ip cameras
          1 Motion sensor
          3 keypad
          3 outlet
          4 wall switches

Comment

That appears to be a communication difficulty. The I/O Linc is powerline only. Do you have any dual-band devices in the garage?

Comment

Sometimes the Hub has issues getting the changes to save on the IO Linc since it is such a complex device and only powerline.

I would remove the IO LInc from the Hub, factory reset it and re add it. You are already in latching mode so this way you clear out memory and start fresh, or you could keep fighting with it Re add it to the Hub and when you get to the device settings page, follow the settings on the link below. It will show you what specifically needs to be set on your iOS device for the garage kit. If you are still experiencing issues, you might plug a dual-band device into the pass through outlet to help with signaling.

http://support.insteon.com/customer/...s-for-hub-ios-

If that does not work, you could remove the IO Linc from the Hub app and factory reset it again. Then, hold the set button down for 3 seconds and let go. Do that nine (9) times and it will move the IO Linc in to the proper momentary position with the default of 2 seconds. Then you could test local operation and then try adding it to the Hub later. The problem with this method is that during the adding process, the Hub might change the relay back to latching and you are back to square one.

Comment

Thank you! You are a God Send! We hooked it up again with the extension cords and were able to change the settings and it works great now!

I would suggest Insteon add the support link to the instruction manual where it says to call if you have questions. The instructions in the manual are so vague that following this step by step was a cinch! This was the most helpful piece of information!

Thanks for your help!
                iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
                iPod

2 ip cameras
                1 Motion sensor
                3 keypad
                3 outlet
                4 wall switches

Comment

Even though the garage door does not bounce any more, we do not get alerts and cannot open garage door with the app. It keeps spinning for a very long time then shows yellow. We decided to uninstall the I/O module and reinstall to see if that makes any difference. It sure did! Now the hub cannot find the I/O module at all. I have a fire bridge pulled in as well as the alert module we just received and even ran 100 ft of extension cord to plug in closer to the hub but no luck. The module will buzz but the device isn't found. This is getting very frustrating! Could it be a faulty device? Thanks for any info you can give me.
                  iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
                  iPod

2 ip cameras
                  1 Motion sensor
                  3 keypad
                  3 outlet
                  4 wall switches

Comment

have you removed the devices from your previous hub?
                    because if u didn't.. u should hook it back up.. delete everything form that hub.. then install the new hub.. and start fresh

Comment

Moustafa's advice is right on. If you simply remove a controller such as the Hub, all the previous scenes are still in place. If you don't have access to the previous Hub, then you should factory reset each device and start from scratch.

Comment

Hello
                        Thanks for the suggestions. This was done and everything was working after following the advice provided by SeanM (above). But since the app has recently become unaware of the i/o links status (yellow dot in app and no further alerts) it was removed from the Hub and now it cannot be reinstated and that includes running an extension cable to an outlet near the Hub. Also tried using a bridge without success. It is frustrating as the device buzzes, but does not get "found". Has the i/o link failed despite the seemingly (partially at least) correct behaviour?
                        iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
                        iPod

2 ip cameras
                        1 Motion sensor
                        3 keypad
                        3 outlet
                        4 wall switches

Comment

It seems that something on the power line is interfering with signaling to or from the I/O Linc. Relocate or run an extension cord to the I/O Linc (which is power line only, not RF). If that works, then you'll need to troubleshoot the circuit where you want to place the I/O Linc.

Comment

Have done all that and no luck. In fact, if the garage door is plugged into the i/o device (even though it is not programmed) it will make the garage door opener not work from the button on the wall but remotes will work.
                            iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
                            iPod

2 ip cameras
                            1 Motion sensor
                            3 keypad
                            3 outlet
                            4 wall switches

Comment

Try plugging the GDO into a filtered outlet (i.e., FilterLinc).

Comment

Working...
                              X