X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't keep light on with Open/Close Sensor & Motion Sensor

Here's the issue I'm having...

Exiting apartment
    I'm inside the apartment, I have a motion sensor mounted above the door on the interior, and an open/close sensor on the door. When I walk towards the front of the apartment, the motion sensor triggers and the hallway light turns on. If I open the front door, the open/close sensor triggers, and the light is on (which it already was from the motion sensor). When I exit the apartment and close the door, the open/close sensor shuts the hallway light off. (I verified this from my iPhone standing directly outside my apartment)

Entering apartment from outside
    When I come home, and open the door, the open/close sensor triggers and the hallway light goes on. When the door closes, it goes off. The motion sensor does nothing, even if I walk away from the door into the apartment. I'd have to walk into the dark apartment and come back a few seconds later for it to trigger properly.

How do I configure it so that when I close the door (standing inside the apartment) the light stays on because the motion sensor is also triggered since I'm standing there?

What are the settings for the Motion Sensor? In any case, if the Door Sensor sends an off signal, then a finite amount of time must elapse before another signal is set to avoid collisions.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Motion alert: no
      No Motion alert: no
      Device options: yes
      motion led: yes
      night only: yes
      motion countdown: 00:00:30 (can't set any lower than that)
      light sensitivity: 50%
      occupancy mode: no
      on only mode: no

The close sensor is turning off the light, but the motion sensor isn't triggering after that. I don't know of any "ignore this sensor for 'x' amount of time" setting.

Comment

If the light that turns on is bright, then the Motion Sensor requires about 4 1/2 minutes to adjust. What is the result if you do not use the Door Sensor?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Ah, I didn't even think that the light sensor setting would be the issue, makes sense. I'll have to turn that function off and see if it works.

Comment

With your current setup, the open/close sensor turns off the light as soon as you close the door...quick way to fix it to make sure your motion detector is properly placed so it also sees you coming in the door. If that does not work, then you can control whether the open/close sensor sends an on/off command when you open/close the door, or you can remove the jumper and have it activate 2 different scenes, one when you open the door and a second when you close the door. Let the motion detector do its job with the light and set the countdown timer to 2 minutes or whatever is good for you. Then just set the Open Scene on the open/close sensor to turn the light on and don't set up anything for the Close scene. When you leave the motion detector will turn off the light per the countdown setting. When you walk in, both the door sensor and the motion detector will sense you coming in and turn on the light. The motion detector should still do it's job and turn the light off for you. Which brings up my suggestion...unless you really want notifications of the door being accidentally left open or opened when you are away, your motion detector (if properly located) will turn on the light anyway making your open/close sensor redundant. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X