Question about who does what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about who does what

I am looking at the HD Wifi Camera. I cannot figure out how the camera ultimately causes an alert or text to be sent. The connectivity diagram shows it communicating with the router and the router is connected to a wired laptop/PC and the router is also connected to modem, internet, tablets, phones etc. What I cannot figure out is which piece of this is responsible for sending the alert/text. Also where, if anywhere, does the Insteon Hub fit into the path of a Wifi Camera. My concern is if the camera detects something and it tries to send an alert by by of the laptop/PC, how would this work as I assume that the laptop/PC is in Sleep mode most of the time. Does the alert wake it up or does the camera generate an alert itself?

The only devices you need be concerned about is the sender (the camera) and the receiver which can be an email client (email alert) or smartphone (test alert). The Hub is not involved at all.

The camera sends a message via Ethernet (wired or WiFi) to your router and from there to the internet. Your email client, Outlook, for example, or your smartphone receives that message. There is nothing special about the alert from the camera. The alert is a normal text or email.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks that completely answers my question.

Comment

Working...
      X