camera set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camera set up

I am shopping for a camera to work with my hub but want to know the connection. Is it wireless to the hub or does the camera need a connection by cat cable to the router?????
    ​What is the best way to do this to get the best results???

In my experience I use an ip-camera which connects wirelessly or through a Ethernet cable to the router. You than add the camera to the hub via its ip address and port through the app. In most cases the app will automatically find the camera. I had an old camera that did not work but my two Foscam cameras worked well. I don't know exactly how the Insteon cameras work. Hopefully someone can explain that. Things like Dropcam or Netcam do not look to work as they broadcast to the cloud and so far I have not figured out a way to access them directly or connect them to the hub.

Comment

Only Insteon cameras work with the Hub. You can use the camera wired or wireless.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am looking at getting the Insteon cameras. So if I understand correctly you can do wireless to the HUB or wired to the router. In that the router is limited with the number of RJ 45 jacks it would seem to me that it may be better to use the HUB rather than wired to the router????
        The HUB is an Insteon .
        Last edited by rkoedyker; 01-20-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

The camera does not communicate directly with the Hub. Wired or wireless, the camera communicates with the router--if it's a WiFi router. The Hub also communicates with the router which is how the Hub can find the camera.

Wired is always more reliable that wireless. If you don't have enough ports on your router, then you can a switch.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I can get mine to word wired but not wireless .
            Iphone 4
            Iphone 5
            Ipad
            Ipod touch
            2 galaxy 3
            2-D link 655
            23 insteon
            2 ezflora
            HUB
            HUB II
            also using Smartlinc
            1E.A2.0F