outdoor camera video record storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

outdoor camera video record storage

Since I have the camera aimed at the street, and we have lots of traffic, I thought about just clicking on the record button, instead of motion since it would constantly record anyway.
    My question is the location that the files are saved to,are there size perimeters( storage space used) you can set such as on a portable hard drive?and then have it over write older clips as needed or will it just fill up available disc storage and quit recording?
    thanks

Well finally got through to a chat session today and was told that there is no way to do that.It will record to a selected location but will continue to record until drive is full, at which time the location is full you have to go to the files and delete all of them manually and restart the record.
    Question for anyone ,before I try the chat session again.Does the program, such as ip camera need to be open and running and at least minimized on the desk top to record and save files?
    This is the only way I can get any recording to work.
    I have tried both minimized and closed out and the only recordings I get is when it is minimized to the lower tray.
    If so, this HD security cam at 149.00 is nothing more than a exterior baby monitor

Comment

I had a similar question and exchanged emails with technical support on this topic. I have a network attached drive for my video record location but was only successful with video recording when the home computer was up and running even though all traffic should be through the network. The answer: the camera requires ActiveX through IE to record video. Not thrilled about that answer but it is an answer. My next question: 1) do you need to be logged in to the camera on IE to record 2) do you only need to have IE up and running even if minimized on the computer to record 3) do not need IE up at all but the computer needs to be up and running to record?

Comment

IE needs to be running, thus the computer needs to be on. IE can be minimized.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

just a follow up on what I have been doing and noticed.I don't like IE but use it to make adjustments to my 2 outdoor cameras.For some reason using firefox for that doesn't work well.I then open firefox and ip cam tool log in to cams and minimize.To browse internet I click on desktop icon of FF.Just remember doing this, especially when logging in to any site, it will keep you logged in.You have to log out not just x out in the upper corner.I also set my task bar to hide as not to click on the icon since it will open the cameras and not the internet.I found that no matter what you use, having more than one camera is a pain with this program.I must say the cameras are so far the best I have,also have logitech alert-which is going belly up,and samsung,which is horrible.One thing about these outdoor cams,I would like to know which version of the Foscam these are as I may upgrade to a better camera.The night vision is very good and I can make out detail of a car in live mode, but recorded night vision, the headlights create a sort of streak blinding out details but the other homes and street look fine.Not sure if that is the norm or my settings since I thought I have them set to the best? not sure.

Comment

Working...
          X