Smallest queryable unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallest queryable unit?

About half my use of Insteon modules is to control outdoor switches and lights on the property that are remote from the house proper. Outdoor floods on the barn, corral, guest house, gazebo, gate, and so on, so we can walk out to them in the dark without tumbling down the hill, walking into cactus, whatever.

Many of these units are true outdoor wiring, and so have GFCIs somewhere in the circuit. During our infrequent downpours, these GFCIs occasionally pop without us noticing. So I've written programs for each of the affected circuits that query the Insteon unit on that circuit a couple times a day, and send me emails/texts when they don't respond, so I know to go out and reset their GFCIs. I'm really happy with the results.

In most cases, the device involved is a simple power switch (installed in an outdoor weatherproof box). But I have additional circuits to which I'd like to add this capability where the GFCI is just a remote outlet with something critical hanging off it, For example, one is located in a garden, and powers an irrigation system that needs not to silently go out of service for an extended period. Today, I installed a B2457D2 LampLinc inside the weatherproof outlet cover, because I had one spare and it just fit. But it's an indoor unit that won't fare well in the desert heat, and I don't need to waste its functionality on this meager job.

What I'd like is to find the smallest Insteon unit I could use for this application, and get a couple. This is complicated by the fact that the new store doesn't enumerate the devices that used to exist but aren't in current production -- I wouldn't mind buying the right unit used on the secondary market, but I no longer have a way even to look up what that might be.

I seem to remember there were some sort of really small wire-in units that fit in boxes behind normal outlets, but GFCI outlets fill up the whole box, and to my knowledge, Insteon never made an addressable GFCI outlet. If I had to, I could certainly move the GFCI function back to the central box and replace the garden GFCI with an Insteon outlet, but if there is a small plug-in device that fits the bill, I'd rather just buy one.

So I'm posting here to catch the attention of some old-timer with an ingrained familiarity with the entire product line Insteon used to make, hoping he can suggest a smaller and/or more robust product I can use other than a more valuable plug-in lamp dimmer.

Thanks.

The smallest units that insteon made were the Micro modules. After that it was the inlinelincs. You'll probably have to look on ebay for them. Ive seen both pop up from time to time. Expect to pay alot for them since theyre discontinued and there really isnt a way for anyone to get them outside of there.

Comment

I saw the micro modules were again available at the Insteon store, so I bought one. It was trivial to hook up to an A/C plug and install at the irrigation box. Success!

Moving the GFCI to the main breaker box wasn't an option, as there is a GFCI in the garden's own outlet, and another GFCI outlet built into the irrigation enclosure which isn't removable... and it was the second one that kept popping. For the price of the micro this was way more efficient and less trouble. And if someday I want to install a remote-controlled lantern in the garden, I can just wire it to the existing micro.

Comment

This information is really helpful for who really needs this. I hope you will many more write post like this..
        Last edited by INSTEON John; 06-09-2023, 11:48 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Your search is thorough, and I hope you find the perfect Insteon unit to meet your specific needs
          Last edited by INSTEON John; 06-16-2023, 04:07 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

It sounds like you have a specific need for controlling outdoor switches and lights on your property using Insteon modules
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 06-25-2023, 12:58 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
            X