No announcement yet.

SwitchLinc 2477D with GFCI Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an Eaton tr GFI outlet and after wiring it up with an Insteon in-wall switch, the outlet trips, if I then turn the main power on all is fine. What do I do to fix this? The GFI should be protecting the system from over-current. I will try disconnecting the wire close to the GFI but can't pinpoint where inside the panel to do it.

The breaker box is a 24-volt system so there is one common wire that comes into a panel and splits into two wires, one black and one white (the white goes to the neutral bar). The black goes to the common bar, then each circuit has its own breaker. The GFI is wired with red to the neutral bar, black to circuit breaker and white to the common bar. I am thinking of just removing the white wire from the ground (common) bar but don't know where in the panel that would be.

OR I am thinking of removing the black wire from the circuit breaker and attaching it directly ground (common) bar...but again not sure where that would be in my panel as I am not experienced and don't know what type of panel it is as it was installed by builder...I think it is a quad.

Comment

I seriously doubt your breakers are 24V.
      All most all homes are single phase. Two Line wire and a Neutral. 120V from either Line to Neutral and 220V from Line to Line.
      GFI devices protect from Ground Faults. It maybe you have GFI breakers. Where the breaker function protects from excessive load current and the GFI function protects for Ground Faults.

Comment

Working...
      X