Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random on/off issues - Please Insteon! Let me sleep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random on/off issues - Please Insteon! Let me sleep!

Hi all,

​I'm new to Insteon (switched from LightwaveRF) and though I much prefer the quality, I still haven't managed to get the system actually working properly yet. The parts I have so far are an Insteon hub, two on/off plug modules and a motion sensor. Originally I had a scene setup to allow the motion sensor to turn on the two modules (controlling indoor lamps) when it was dark and somebody walked up to our front door. This worked fine (apart from leaving for work early in the morning, but that was expected due to the way they work). However, the lights (on/off modules) kept turning on randomly over night (which shine through to the bedroom and wake me up). I tried moving the motion sensor to three different locations over three nights to ensure it wasn't picking up reflections/glare/etc which may have triggered it to no avail. Finally I removed the motion sensor from the setup and just relied on the app to switch the scene on and off - however, the scene is still randomly turning on/off overnight (which means it can't be the motion sensor).

​Does anybody have any experience of this sort of problem? The only explanations I can think of are 1) Interference (highly unlikely as we're a good distance from anything that could do that and everything indoors is shut down over night), or 2) Fluctuations in the electricity supply - in which case is there some way to disable the X10 abilities of the Insteon and stick with wireless only? (I can't seem to find an option for this).

​Any help is massively appreciated as we're now up to our 5th/6th night with disrupted sleep and I don't want to have to return the Insteon system.

Many of the latest Insteon modules have dropped X10 support.
    What are the model numbers of all your Insteon modules in your setup?

Did you use the HUB to set things up or did you use the manual set button linking for anything?

Comment

The models I have are:

Insteon hub - 2242-442UK
      2x On/Off plug - 2633-442

They do both list as being backward compatible with X10 products (hence the assumption). I set everything up using the hub - it did request that I hold down the button on the sockets during the process to enter the pairing mode.

Comment

Insteon devices don't have X10 addresses unless you add one or there's a residual address from random testing at the point of manufacture. Since you have only a few devices, it'll be easy to factory reset then (see the Owner's Manual). Delete them from the app first. don't forget to factory reset the Motion Sensor, too.

Start by re-adding just the On/Off modules, not the sensor. Add just one, wait a day or two. If everything checks out OK, add the second On/Off module. Finally, add the Motion Sensor.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I've removed all devices and completed factory resets on everything. I've now re-added just the two plug in modules (via the app). I'll give it a few days and see how we get on (fingers crossed)!

Comment

So Stusviews advice worked perfectly - 5 nights on and no midnight illuminations - Thank you! I'll be looking at re-adding the motion sensor now (and hopefully it will work as planned this time!)

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up!

Comment

Most welcome Dewie - nothing worse than unfinished forum threads!

​It looks like the issue is with the motion detector - I have Jumper 5 set (to control the settings via the Insteon Hub). I have the settings in the app as:

​Scene membership: 1 (This turns on the two on/off modules when motion is detected)

​Night only: ON
                Light Sensitivity: 2%
                ​Only on mode: ON

​It is currently 12:15 in the afternoon - bright daylight, and the motion sensor is still picking up movement and switching the lights on. I have factory reset the motion sensor twice and re-added it and still have the same response.

​I'm beginning to think the motion detector is faulty?

Comment

Working...
                X