Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random on/off module issues - Insteon, please! Let me sleep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random on/off module issues - Insteon, please! Let me sleep!

Hi all,

​I'm new to Insteon (switched from LightwaveRF) and though I much prefer the quality, I still haven't managed to get the system actually working properly yet. The parts I have so far are an Insteon hub, two on/off plug modules and a motion sensor. Originally I had a scene setup to allow the motion sensor to turn on the two modules (controlling indoor lamps) when it was dark and somebody walked up to our front door. This worked fine (apart from leaving for work early in the morning, but that was expected due to the way they work). However, the lights (on/off modules) kept turning on randomly over night (which shine through to the bedroom and wake me up). I tried moving the motion sensor to three different locations over three nights to ensure it wasn't picking up reflections/glare/etc which may have triggered it to no avail. Finally I removed the motion sensor from the setup and just relied on the app to switch the scene on and off - however, the scene is still randomly turning on/off overnight (which means it can't be the motion sensor).

​Does anybody have any experience of this sort of problem? The only explanations I can think of are 1) Interference (highly unlikely as we're a good distance from anything that could do that and everything indoors is shut down over night), or 2) Fluctuations in the electricity supply - in which case is there some way to disable the X10 abilities of the Insteon and stick with wireless only? (I can't seem to find an option for this).

​Any help is massively appreciated as we're now up to our 5th/6th night with disrupted sleep and I don't want to have to return the Insteon system.
    Last edited by SuspectWinner84; 12-23-2014, 01:06 AM. Reason: Please delete post - has submitted twice (pressing post requested a JSON file be downloaded - clicked cancel, submitted twice)

Welcome to the Insteon world. Odd the lights turn on randomly. The only thing I can think of is if there is a schedule (not likely) enabled for the lights. I have 2 on/off modules, a motion sensor, and a couple of switches and I have not experienced random enabling of the lights. Hope you find your answer. Sorry could not be of more help.

Comment

Since you have such a small system I would suggest you hard reset the On / Off module to factory settings. With out anything else (including the HUB) monitor to see if the attached load comes back on.

NOTE: The device has a load sense so you should disable this feature.

If the lights do not come back on in the dead of night enroll it back to the HUB. Ensure there are no Dusk / Dawn, schedules, etc. If all is well after adding back the HUB to control the two On / Off modules.

Add back the MS sensor to control the On / Off modules and see if they come on as expected. If so, great then you can monitor if they come on randomly with out any other programs.

Report back . . .

Teken . . .

Comment

Hi all,
        ​Thanks for the replies - this was actually a duplicated thread that I was hoping a mod would be able to delete (can't seem to find an option to do so myself).

​After getting some advice, I completed factory resets on everything and added just the on/off modules - the result were no night time lights (hooray!). Yesterday I finally added back the motion sensor and despite having difficulty getting it to trigger only at night (night mode on, only on - on and light sensitivity at 2% -> Still triggering mid-afternoon) I didn't have the original issue last night.

​I'll continue tinkering and monitor the original issue!

Comment

Working...
        X