setting up Scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting up Scenes

I guess this is where you post questions and how to.
    I tried following the manual to set up scenes. I want to set up multiple on and off times for the same module so the lights can go on and off three different times in one day.
    The manual really doesn;t tell you how to do that and the instructions are not clear on match what is on the current version of the app.
    Can anyone give me a set of instructions to set up a scene. The criteria is one light, one module, and I want to set up three different times on that module.
    Please help.
    Thanks...Jog.

Select Create a Scene. Optionally give it a name and select an icon. You can also do that later. Create a schedule for a particular single time. Don't forget to save the schedule. Select the device and tap on Next. Optionally choose an On-levle and tap on done.

Repeat for each different time schedule, three different times equals three different scenes.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Optionally choose an on level? I never found that option. It seems to me that the scene is set up with only Name, Icon, Room Memberships (havent figured them out yet), Schedule (only days of week on time and off time and group number. You then have to add devices to the scene then set their state foir that scenet on/dim/off and ramp speed. Another bad functionality is if you have multiple devices that you add you have to manually click each one and set that info. Can't copy or multiple select.

I suppose you can build a room with devices first then add the room to the scene but that isn't clear either. In fact I cannot see a layperson ever getting these items to work. It;'s a shame Smarthome is selling such a poorly documented product.

Comment

Create a scene, select the device(s), tap on Next. Choose whether each device will be a Controller, Responder, or Both (left bar). Tap on the right bar. Select the On Level and/or Ramp Rate for each dimmable device in the scene.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I too have been fighting with doing something similar; I have a Keypadlinc which I would like one of the buttons to do various things depending on the time of day, all of them will be related to turning off one set of lights however the rest will be varied (If I am leaving for work vs going to bed, etc).

I have tried making events which respond to the button being pressed and if I test them they respond accordingly however I can't seem to get them to actually respond to the actual key press unless I have something (a scene for instance) assigned to it.

Am I going about this right? Setup a basic scene with common functionality and the control button as the controller then setting up events to handle the varied functionality?

Comment

Except for the primary button (the one connected to the load), pressing a secondary KPL button only turns the button's LED on or off. KPL buttons require scenes.

Comment

I have linked two of the 8 KPL buttons directly to other Insteon Devices (OutLinc Relay & SwitchLinc Dimmers) without creating separate scenes. I did so manually through the pairing procedure involving pressing and from within HouseLinc

Comment

When you link and Insteon device to control a different Insteon device you have created a scene. It doesn't matter if you create the link manually, using HouseLinc, the Hub or something else, it's still a scene. Scenes work in one direction.

For example, if you link a KPL button to control a SwitchLinc, then that button will control the SwitchLinc, but the SwitchLinc won't control the button. If you want the SwitchLinc to control the button, then you need to create a separate link for that. That's know as cross-linking, that is A linked to control B and B is linked to control A.

Comment

I have the same issue I think with what jog is saying... I just got my hub and a wire-in dual on/off outlet the other day and ran into the same issue. I can add the device and control each plug individually HOWEVER when setting up a schedule, it doesnt ask which plug "top or bottom" to control for that schedule. Its a kitchen sink light "top plug" and christmas lights "bottom plug" that I want to turn on at night and off during the day and have the christmas lights same things but different times. Anyways when I setup a schedule to turns on and off the top plug only and the bottom says on all the time. I tried to recreate the schdeule; same results. I then looked on the module to see if it had to 2 IDs. which on the unit or box there isnt. Weird thing is that it doesnt state if I have to hold the top or bottom setup button on the module to detect it, so thought maybe it delete the module and hit each setup button to add to IDs off one module but all it ended up doing is deleting my current module and adding it over again with the wrong name. "but did remember my settings" Any thoughts on how i can individually control each plug on my module in scenes or schedules. My scenes do the same thing.

Comment

Here's what I did: Create a Scene > under Scene Members, tap the Outlet, both Top and Bottom appear as choices. BTW, the On/Off Outlet has only one Insteon ID.

Comment

I remember that but what do I change to disregard one of the plugs from those choices? It forces me to choose options for both of them. I cant ignore one.

Comment

When I select, for example, only the Top Outlet, only that outlet appears in the scene, not both. I can make that outlet be a responder, controller or both. The other outlet is not affected at all.

Comment

Try that with a schedule. Does a schedule work the same?

Comment

Yes, I can schedule the scene that has only one outlet and only that outlet responds.

Comment

I got it working. I can NOT make a schedule right out the bat. I have to create a new scene and then set scheduling within there. This then only gives me the option to choose one or both. Going straight to schedules like I started out with will not give you the correct options. Just have to learn insteons methods.

Comment

Working...
                              X