Help, 20 year user is lost in the weeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, 20 year user is lost in the weeds

I am a 20 year Insteon user with three houses/hubs and the old iPhone app for hub. One of the houses I manage stopped communicating with the handful of old toggle light switches so I broke out a new but older hub and tried to add it and link the switches. I cannot get the switches to link automatically or by manually inputting their addresses. Then I noticed that there is a new app called director. Downloaded that but can’t log in even after a password reset.

I have been paying a yearly $39 subscription. Does that cover all three hubs?

Do I need the new Insteon director app?

How many accounts will I need?

Any ideas why my devices will not link?

The hub is a 2245-222.

Thanks,

George

If you replaced the hub and nothing works, it doesn't seem like an electrical change to the house or line noise. Things that could have happened / check:

- Have you examined any of the switches? Do they still function as switches? Can you use the set switch and "four press" test them? Factory reset?

- Were any of the switches linked together in a "virtual circuit"? A controller is not needed and they should still function even if a hub died. If the togglincs are linked together, do the "virtual circuits" still work at the switch?

- Was there a major electrical event like a lightning strike?

- Togglincs, I believe, are powerline only. Do you have any dual band modules or a signalinc on your panel? Could those be damaged and preventing you from reaching the switches
    with a hub?

Comment

Thank you.

All 4 switches still work locally as intended

No virtual circuits, I think.

No dual band devices

No electrical changes

I will try resetting all of the switches

what is the 4 tap test?

Thanks,

George

Comment

4 Tap tests are on dual band devices.
        You tap the set button on a module 4 times and it starts a communications test. Some manuals called it a beacon test and used a flow chart of button actions and led flashing patterns.
        You than look at other dual band modules LED and it tell you if they are talking to each other and on same or opposite power line phase.
        No changes at all? Even a new charger for a device, changed an LED new brand or size, moved an existing device location?
        I have also seen an existing electronic device deteriorate and start making problems.

Comment

Resetting the switches did not help. I will have to think about recent electrical changes. I thought it was unlikely that all 4 togglelincs failed together especially given that they all work locally but I will replace one today to verify.

George

Comment

Please check the connection using the settings button on the module. If you want to know if the other dual-band modules are in phase with each other or not, just glance at the LEDs on them.

Last edited by lamentinside; 01-11-2024, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X