Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimmer flickering with Insteon traffic

I am sure I may be raising a common issue
    i have a new house full of Insteon dimmers that I am being on-line. So far about 35 devices. Will soon have 28 x 2477 dimmers, 14 x 6 button keypanels, 15 switches.
    Many of these devices were bought during the bankruptcy on e-bay (talk about a loyal Insteon customer!)

it seems whenever any lights are on, they tend to flicker whenever there is Insteon traffic. Seemingly, it is worst whenever the Hub “queries them”
    I say this because when NO Insteon app is opened on my phone (or iPad), No flicker.
    But as soon as I open the app, and I see it start to interrogate the status of each dimmer, they all flicker.
    Sometimes it will also happen for about 10 seconds, when I trigger a scene with many members.

I had a previous house with about 50 Insteon dimmers and switches (however different LED lights) with No Flicker issues.
    I have had enough Insteon product with different LED lights to recognize a dimmer LED problem. This seems to be different, since isolated to command and status traffic.

I see others have had similar issues.
    Has anyone ever solved it ?

Thanks!

You know you have to do this; you are going to have to start isolating circuits. Since your observation indicates it's worse when the Hub is accessed, I suggest an ethernet extension cable and an 110v extension cord and move the hub to a different location on a different circuit and preferably on the other leg of the house current. If there is a change, something connected to the circuit where the hub was originally located is suspect but not definite.

I had flickering in specialty led lights. The flickering was more frequent time of day, so I blamed it on the power company, and tried to live it, came close to changing out the Insteon switch back to plain paddle. Long story short, my problem was with the ballast to the last remaining fluorescent lights I was gradually changing to led. But even isolating the circuit to the fluorescent light didn't solve the flickering issue. It wasn't until I physically removed the ballast out of the wiring. I mention this because my house was built in 1995 and passed electrical code inspection. But I feel like short cuts were taken. I have been bit a few times working on a circuit that is off, but I get a little zip from the neutral. This could be for a multitude of reasons, but it was what was causing the ballast to make the lights flicker.

You will find the problem; it just takes time. Good luck!

Comment

I've tried many ways but still can't fix the problem, it's tiring. Super Mario

Comment

Sigh... Unfortunately, this is a common issue. Are you using the legacy dimmers or the newer I3 models? Also, just curious whether you have tried using the Philips Flicker Free LED bulbs?

Comment

Originally posted by rlfromm View Post
          .....just curious whether you have tried using the Philips Flicker Free LED bulbs?
          Rlfromm, what has been your experience with these Philips bulbs? That is, did these bulbs decrease the flicker noticed with other LED bulbs?

Hopefully the more success stories we can stare, the fewer issues we'll encounter.

Thanks, John

Comment

Originally posted by INSTEON John View Post
            Rlfromm, what has been your experience with these Philips bulbs? That is, did these bulbs decrease the flicker noticed with other LED bulbs?

Hopefully the more success stories we can stare, the fewer issues we'll encounter.

Thanks, John
            I have not tried them yet. But I may get 4 to see if there is any improvement. If I try them I'll post an update.

Comment

On the UDI forums.
              There was a link to the Insteon web site. For a status update on things.
              They are going to start to carry the LDS-E and LDS-R LED load Stabilizers.
              They are only for LED loads and if you have other loads. would not work.
              They do draw some power when On. FAQ indicates around 1.8W
              Also not clear on the difference between the -E (yellow)and -R (blue) versions. I suspect it is the value of the internal resistors value.
              I have seen them used by older systems using X10 devices. Being helps with LED flicker and may help with other protocols. Like Insteon.

Comment

To add to BLH comment, here are the flicker filters available in the Insteon store:
                https://shop.insteon.com/products/le...1&_psq=flicker

Comment

Working...
                X