Older Insteon on-off keypad won't connect to 2245-222 Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older Insteon on-off keypad won't connect to 2245-222 Hub

Hoping there's an Insteon guru who can help me. I'm not one.

Our new-to-us house has an Insteon 6-button on/off keypad (2486DWH6) controlling 5 circuits in a home theater room. It all works great pressing the keypad buttons manually.

There's also a hub that afaict is broken. No LED indicator at all (except two on the ethernet port that flash all the time even with no cable connected). It doesn't pull an IP address from my router. There are heat stains. Pretty sure it's fried.

I think this is all vintage stuff. The hub's circuit board is marked August 2012.

So I found a new-old stock 2245-222 hub on eBay. Configured it with the app no problem. Upgraded the firmware.

But adding the keypad doesn't work. When I press the "set" button, they (hub and keypad) beep at each other like old friends, but the app hangs with a spinner for a few minutes, followed by a message "Can't reliably connect.". Tried this a half-dozen times. Rebooting the hub. Restarting the app. Yada yada. Also tried with the Insteon ID. Same result: beeping and a swirly.

So I'm open to all suggestions. I'm guessing the keypad is so old it's incompatible. Or broken. But the eBay hub is also suspect.

Any advice? Thanks
    Last edited by GeneR; 02-18-2023, 08:53 PM.

Originally posted by GeneR View Post
    Hoping there's an Insteon guru who can help me. I'm not one.

Our new-to-us house has an Insteon 6-button on/off keypad (2486DWH6) controlling 5 circuits in a home theater room. It all works great pressing the keypad buttons manually.

There's also a hub that afaict is broken. No LED indicator at all (except two on the ethernet port that flash all the time even with no cable connected). It doesn't pull an IP address from my router. There are heat stains. Pretty sure it's fried.

I think this is all vintage stuff. The hub's circuit board is marked August 2012.

So I found a new-old stock 2245-222 hub on eBay. Configured it with the app no problem. Upgraded the firmware.

But adding the keypad doesn't work. When I press the "set" button, they (hub and keypad) beep at each other like old friends, but the app hangs with a spinner for a few minutes, followed by a message "Can't reliably connect.". Tried this a half-dozen times. Rebooting the hub. Restarting the app. Yada yada. Also tried with the Insteon ID. Same result: beeping and a swirly.

So I'm open to all suggestions. I'm guessing the keypad is so old it's incompatible. Or broken. But the eBay hub is also suspect.

Any advice? Thanks
    Age is not an issue in regards to adding I suspect that you're having noise issues since you are using a Powerline online device. If the hub works with your other insteon devices then you can rule out the hub being defective

Comment

Thanks! What does "Powerline online device" mean? I have the hub just a couple of feet from the keypad. What kind of noise could cause a problem?

Comment

I have similar problem with 4 keypads and a new hub. They beep and ack, but never link. Same goes for another half dozen dimmers.

Very frustrating.

My wife suspects the ecobee is noisy (so to speak).

Comment

Thanks. Nice to know I'm not alone. But I never did find a solution. Afaict, the replacement hub was a stupid purchase. :-( If you come up with something, please let me know.

Comment

Same issue here, but my problem is only with keypads. All my regular switches have been able to be added to my new hub without a problem. My keypads were all working reliably with my isy994i but can’t seem to connect to my new Hub 2 that I installed last week.

Comment

Working...
            X