Unusual failure mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual failure mode

Needed to move a controlled lamp to a new location. When I tried to unplug the lamp module, the case broke into pieces in my hand. The plastic was completely brittle. I have never seen this with any of my other Insteon modules, so hopefully a one time occurrence. I'm saving the internal parts in case I have a more typical component type failure and can use these guts as a replacement.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

We are aware of this being an issue with this product years ago. It was addressed by the prior owners of Insteon.
    Brent
    Insteon user since 2009
    70+ Insteon devices
    Control via Hub 2, Director, and voice via Insteon Amazon Skill

Comment

Known issue with the older ones and you are not alone. Finding this issue.
      I have 6 that way.
      I see they have addressed the issue.

Comment

It seems that the plastic case of your Insteon lamp module was unexpectedly brittle and broke into pieces when you tried to unplug it. This is not a typical occurrence, and it's good that you are saving the internal parts in case you need to use them for a replacement in the future. Home Bargains Portal
        Last edited by tarafoster; 04-02-2023, 09:26 PM.

Comment

It sounds like you experienced an unusual failure mode with your lamp module, where the plastic casing became very brittle and broke apart when you attempted to unplug it. It's possible that this was a one-time occurrence, and that the other Insteon modules you have will not have the same issue.

It's a good idea to save the internal parts of the broken module in case you need to use them as a replacement in the future. However, it's important to note that if the failure mode you experienced was due to a design flaw or manufacturing defect, it's possible that the replacement parts may also be susceptible to the same issue. If you continue to experience unusual failure modes with your Insteon modules, it may be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they can provide any insight or assistance.

Comment

It's a good idea to keep the internal components of the damaged module in case you ever need to repair it. It's crucial to keep in mind, though, that if the failure mode you experienced was brought on by a design or manufacturing mistake, it's possible that the replacement parts could share the same problem.

Comment

In an automobile engine, a piston fails not due to overheating or wear and tear but because of a manufacturing defect that was not identified during quality control.
              Last edited by INSTEON John; 10-13-2023, 12:34 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Originally posted by brent.insteon View Post
                We are aware of this being an issue with this product years ago. It was addressed by the prior owners of Insteon.
                So what is the solution given? Is this still happening?
                Last edited by INSTEON John; 11-02-2023, 04:31 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

I would suspect. The case was redesigned.
                  Maybe a different plastic, get rid of the flat head screws as their head style begged to put pressure on the back and a little more room between the electronics and the back. As mine actually bowed out when the back was all the way flush with the case.
                  Last edited by BLH; 10-18-2023, 03:30 PM. Reason: Removed the hidden spam link.

Comment

BLH, FYI the post you quoted is apparently spam because in the quote there is an embedded web link to a gaming web site. It didn't show up in the original post by adamjoh, just in the quote, so I think the forum automatically hides web links in the original post but not in a quote. It's hardly visible because it is in white text that does not show up on the white background of the initial post. It only shows up on the gray background of a quoted post. Just thought you might be interested to know...

(I've been seeing a growing number of posts like the initial post. They appear to be legitimate but are not because they have spam links (sometimes deleted by the system), and are often AI-created postings. Another clue is that the poster, adamjoh, just joined this month October 2023, and they are replying to an old post (in this case from February 2023.)

Comment

Oh yes.
                      Thank you for the information.

Comment

Working...
                      X