Using Google Home to control more Insteon functions - Comments please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Google Home to control more Insteon functions - Comments please

I have a fairly simple Insteon setup using the Hub to manage a few scenes. The scenes are generally activated by schedule (time or sunrise/sunset related) and one by a mini-remote which is not really supported by the Android app.

I have had a couple of instances where the hub has failed and had to be replaced, and it seemed to be a fairly ugly process and somewhat of a weak point in the Insteon realm. I have also added voice activated routines into Google Home (GH) and use them to turn off lights as we go to bed and turn on the route to the wine room. There are a few 'three-way light' setups.

I see that GH can do routines based on a schedule and that the schedule can also be sunrise/sunset driven.

So my thought is to retain the 3-way linkages and build GH routines to replicate my other scenes and acquire a smartbutton that will replace the mini-remote. It would seem to me that the approach would operate the same way, but in the event that the hub fails again, I would still have to factory reset all the devices before linking them to the replacement hub, but the scenes are no longer used, so recreating them would be unnecessary.

I also realise that while there is no functioning hub, none of the GH routines would work anyway. Maybe it would be better to leave the scenes set up (as I think the Insteon devices talk to themselves without the hub) and while the hub is 'down' I would only lose voice-activation functions.

As I also see that Nokia has an alternative hub that may be able to control Insteon devices soon, there may be an alternative to the Insteon hub.

Has anyone been thinking of this approach? Is it logical, or an overthinking result of too much turkey and wine ?
    Last edited by ricketyca; 12-26-2021, 10:00 AM.

Hub maker and smart home platform Insteon is adding support for Google Assistant. With a voice command to your Google Home, Google Pixel or any other device equipped with Google Assistant, you can now control your Insteon lights, switches, thermostats, wall outlets, plugs and more. DQ Fan Feedback

Comment

Your writing is really informative, especially because it's so meaningful and updated. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post!

Your writing is really great. I’m so glad I read it. It kept me hooked the whole way through.

Thanks for this information. I really appreciate the information that you have provided.

Comment

Thank you for this information.
        Last edited by INSTEON John; 09-13-2023, 04:53 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

I used Insteon devices controlled using the Insteon Hub, which connects to a Wi-Fi network and allows you to control your devices using a smartphone app or voice commands with compatible voice assistants like Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
          Last edited by INSTEON John; 10-11-2023, 11:56 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Google Home allows you to create custom routines that execute multiple actions with a single voice command. You can use this feature to control several Insteon devices simultaneously or to schedule actions at specific times.
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 04-11-2024, 11:14 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
            X