Two Wire Thermostat Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Wire Thermostat Installation

Just order the Insteon Home Automation Connection Kit with the Thermostat w/ Humidity (2441TH) and looking for information on how to connect the thermostat from an old mercury two wire(white/red) type style thermostat. I'm just running a furnace with no AC. Is it as easy as just jumping the right terminals in the thermostat? Do I need to run a new three/four/five? I'm pretty handy, but I think if things are more complicated then jumping at the thermostat level, then I might call in a professional. I've scoured the web and found some info on using a two wire conversion to a mordern HVAC thermostat:

1.The Green(or white) wire goes to W
    2.The Black(or red) wire goes to RH
    3.Put a small jumper wire from RH to RC (Cut the insulation off the ends of a small piece of wire. Most of the time it's provided, by being in place already)

You need one more power connection C. Along with RH and W. So a minimum of three wires is needed.
    You may want to look at the furnace end and see if the furnace control has an unused C connection and if there is an unused wire in the cable just folded or cut back.
    Venstar does make a two wire heat only adapter. That has a separate power supply and relay to simulate the old two wire thermostat and provide the power needed to run the thermostat.

http://www.smarthome.com/venstar-the...-only-kit.html

Comment

Working...
    X