Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon wired thermostat remote temp sensor

Hello,

Can I run a remote temp sensor from my only Insteon thermostat to my basement to monitor and regulate the temperature in the basement only, through an appliance module connected to a small oil filled space heater?

If not, would I have to purchase a wireless thermostat, install in the basement and have it control an appliance module connected to a small oil filled space heater?
    Thanks

The wired thermostat is a temperature sensor.

If you link the wireless Insteon thermostat to a wired one, then it will also control whatever the wired thermostat controls. But, if you do not link the wireless thermostat to the wired thermostat, then you can use the wireless thermostat to control any other Insteon device independently.

We use the wireless thermostat to independently control the bedroom fireplace.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply...

So what you are saying is the remote temperature sensor when wired to the wired thermostat (if at all possible to read two locations) is strictly a monitor that show up on the thermostat, but has no other function.

In other words, in my case it would show me what the temperature of my basement is as long as I'm looking at the thermostat....

End result is I need to purchase a wireless thermostat for my basement....

Thanks again

Comment

Yes. The wired thermostat can be controlled by up to two wireless thermostats. Either the wired or one of the wireless thermostats can be designated as the master. That designation is determined locally meaning the you must be at the thermostat that you want to be the master.

But, if the wireless thermostat is not linked to a wired thermostat, then it's completly indepndent of the HVAC. You can use such a configuration to thermostatically control any Insteon responder.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Haven't install my equipment yet, so I was unsure of the connections available on the thermostat. I verified this morning that there is no provision for connecting an external temperature sensor to the wired thermostat...

Comment

Working...
          X