Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a compatible phase coupler still exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a compatible phase coupler still exist?

I had a Signallinc / Insteon phase coupler at my last house, made a big difference. I know they don't sell them anymore. My recollection is that there were Insteon compatible phase bridges from other companies.

I brought some original lamplincs from my last house and ordering some single band devices and would like a physical phase bridge.
    Does anyone know if another brand phase bridge is still available?

I have not seen any wired in ones for the breaker box. For Insteon and X10.
    Simply Automated ZPCI modules. Claim to couple the signals between phases I have no date on them working with Insteon but they do say X10. They are also available with plug in cables and one is for inside the breaker box. ZPCI-W
    All the Dual Band modules also couple the signal to others.
    If on both phases of the home. Will also bridge the two power lines.
    They should have a communications test built into them and you can start it and then look at other modules. Set LED to see if on the same phase or opposite. Along with indications the signals are taking to each other.
    The Range Extender also does it but most just use a Dual Band module to do it and you get an output in the mix. The Range Extender that I looked at is a 2457D2 Lamplinc with the dimmer parts not installed.

Comment

Thanks BLH. The issue I found is that even with some dual band, the phase coupler was direct and cut the number of hops down.

I forgot that I ran a test in homeseer in the attached images, first is without signalinc and second with signalinc, Granted it was over 10 years ago and I didn't have a ton of dual band at the time, but some, but the results convinced me the signalinc was worth it. Putting it on the panel puts it at the center of the powerline.

There's no signal Inc's availablet on amazon, so I'll look at ZPCI try eBay for the signalinc too.

Signal Bridge Breakers turned off
      Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 7.50.03 AM.jpeg.png

Signalinc breakers turned on: Note the drop in 2 and 3 hop messages

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 7.50.55 AM.jpeg.png
      Attached Files

Comment

Paul, what's left of the old X10 company sells a powerline phase coupler here:
        https://www.x10.com/products/pzz01?_...80f34eb7&_ss=r

and, an amplified repeater:
        https://www.x10.com/products/xpcr?_p...80f34eb7&_ss=r
        Cheers, John

Comment

For those brave enough to 'roll-their-own' AC phase coupler, I have attached the schematic from the 2006 hardwired version.

John
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, INSTEON John!
            I'm actually considering rolling my own. Its a newer to me house, I hadn't actually gone down to the panel.... Every breaker is full!. I'm thinking I can find a place to wire the above in.

Does that go hot to hot across two breakers on opposite phases?
            Last edited by paulbates; 11-28-2023, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Yes it goes from L1 and L2. Hot to Hot. Opposite phase lines.
              Use a capacitor rated to be across the power lines as some have had them blow open if not rated to be across the power lines.
              The amplifier mentioned is strictly X10.

Comment

Thank you INSTEON John and BLH. I used chat on mouser.com to make sure I got the properly rated parts.

Comment

Hope it works out for you.

Comment

To complete this thread, here are the parts I bought from mouser.com to "roll-my-own" signallinc
                    Line Number Mouser Part Number
                    Customer Part Number
                    Manufacturer Part Number
                    Description
                    Requested
                    Delivery
                    Date(s)
                    Estimated
                    Shipment
                    Date(s)
                    Quantity Unit Price
                    (USD)
                    Extended Price
                    (USD)
                    594-2222-468-28105
                    BFC246828105
                    1uF 10% 400volts
                    DEC 03, 2023 DEC 03, 2023 1 2.590 2.59
                    71-IHD1EB1R5L
                    IHD1EB1R5L
                    1.5uH 15%
                    DEC 03, 2023 DEC 03, 2023 1 6.230 6.23
                    1RoHS: Compliant

Comment

This dual-band device acts as a phase bridge and range extender. It's readily available and works well for most setups. Some tech-savvy users have built their own phase bridges using readily available components and soldering skills. However, this requires technical expertise and isn't for everyone.
                      Remember, phase bridging is most crucial for older powerline-only Insteon devices or homes with unusual electrical configurations. Newer Insteon devices often handle phases automatically.

Comment

Working...
                      X