Flickering lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickering lights

I have over 40 Insteon devices in my house, including 10 separate lighting circuits in one big room. The lights in that room have begun to randomly flicker. It's just a very quick (sub-second) off/on flash. It's happening to the lights on all of the insteon switches in that room. There are lights on insteon switches in other rooms where it's not happening at all and no non-insteon light is flickering.

The frequency is random - sometimes twice in 5 seconds, sometimes not for 90 seconds, but it's enough to be really annoying. All of these are controlled by dimmable wall paddles (2477D) and are on the same electrical circuit.

I've unplugged everything in the room and the flicker still happens. I've turned off all but one switch, but the single remaining lights still flicker, regardless which single switch I leave on.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong or how to diagnose it?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I suspected this may be caused by some device somewhere in the house generating line noise that isn't handled well by the Insteon dimmer switches. To isolate it, I began turning off breakers until the flashing stopped, then turned them back on again until it restarted. In so doing, I was able to isolate it to a single circuit that had an LED light strip with a failing transformer. This was ultimately the root cause of the flickering lights.

Hope this info helps someone else.

Comment

That sounds like a good possibility.
      A power line device is making electrical noise and getting into the dimmer circuits.
      Could be some new device, a moved device to a different location or even a device starting to deteriorate.
      Some times unplugging a device in question may show some information.

Comment

OK, this probably isn't it but might spark an idea. I had lights start flickering randomly on one circuit and after trying almost everything I went to the main breaker panel and looked at it with an infrared FLIR camera. One of the breakers was warmer than the others. I took a screwdriver and found that the screw on the electrical connection was just a bit loose. Tightened it up and problem went away and breaker temp was back to normal.

Comment

I suggest resetting your Insteon network. This will clear all of the devices from your network and force them to re-learn their settings. fnf

Comment

My flickering light issue was resolved when I removed the last ballast for fluorescent lighting. It wasn't good enough that I turned off the circuit breaker, both load and neutral had to be disconnected.

Comment

Random flickering on all Insteon lights in one room sounds frustrating! Here are some potential causes and troubleshooting steps:
              Try adding powerline filters on various outlets in the room, especially near lighting fixtures.
              Identify and temporarily remove any potential interfering devices like dimmer switches on other circuits, appliances, or even power supplies.

Insteon setup:
              • Firmware: Update your Insteon Hub and all devices to the latest firmware.
              • Scenes/Automations: Check if any scene or automation accidentally includes the flickering lights and could be triggering them.
              • Device overload: Try disabling some non-essential Insteon devices in the room to see if the issue persists.
              Remember, diagnosing the root cause can be a process of elimination. Start with the simple steps, document your observations, and keep escalating to more complex solutions if needed.

I hope this gives you a starting point for resolving the flickering issue! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or need more specific advice.

Comment

Working...
              X