Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty dimmer jams network

Just thought I’d relate this experience; perhaps it will help someone else:
    Recently, I started having a variety of problems with my network: Most devices were unreachable (yellow status in the app), motion sensors were no longer controlling their associated lights, Amazon Echo couldn’t talk to the hub, remotes would not control their devices, etc. A few devices appeared to work normally over the network; some responded only after commands were repeated many times. All devices with local controls (eg light switches) would respond to them (ie the paddle) — except one. A 2477 dimmer would respond via its paddle, but only occasionally. When switched on or off it was unresponsive for 5-10 mins, then would respond, then would be unresponsive again after using the paddle, and so on. It would not respond to an associated mini remote, even just a few feet away, or to commands from the app. Resetting the dimmer using the manual disconnect (pulling on the set button) didn’t make a difference.
    Today I replaced the dimmer. All the other problems have gone away. It must have been jamming the network somehow. This is very surprising given that most devices are dual-band. Also, pulling the disconnect didn’t stop the jamming behavior — I had to physically disconnect it from the circuit.
    I’ve had dozens of devices over the years. A few have failed, but this is the first time I’ve experienced anything like this.

If it was sending a constant stream of Insteon garbage. Maybe both RF and Power Line.
    It could cause what you are seeing. I believe Insteon modules are polite and would wait for the garbage to stop. Indicating the module was free to send data.
    Sounds like a power supply issue. Cool off for a while and would work again for a short time.
    Was the LED bar or Set Button LED acting strange.

Comment

Even though the paddle worked intermittently, the network jamming was constant; strange.
      I didn’t see anything strange on the LED bar or Set button.

Comment

Working...
      X