Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Ramp Rates are Different for Up and Down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Ramp Rates are Different for Up and Down?

Hi,

I've installed four Elite RL430 LED Dimmable cans in a client's home. I've set the ramp rate of fade up/down to ±8.5 seconds. When turning on the light, there is a delay of about 3 seconds and they essentially pop on. Turning off, the ramp rate is perfect. Any ideas as to why, and/or a solution?

Thank you.

Okay, but then why does it ramp down smoothy, at any ramp setting?

Comment

All depends on the driver circuit in the lights design.
      On ramp down. The driver is already On and can dim down more smoothly. While some may also dim ramp down at a modified rate.
      Some dimmable LED lights. May dim down to a point and then pop off. Some may get to a certain level and then seem to stop dimming until it pops off.

Comment

Thank you. Is there any workaround or methodology or go-to brand to ensure smooth ramp up and down?

Comment

No. You'll find the effect is the same across all brands. I've found the Philips warm glow to work best with cree coming in a close second

Comment

I've set the ramp rate of fade up/down to ±8.5 seconds. When auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver turning on the light, there is a delay of about 3 seconds and they essentially pop on. Turning off, the ramp rate is perfect. Any ideas as to why, and/or a solution?
            Last edited by moksaib; 12-19-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moksaib View Post
              I've set the ramp rate of fade up/down to ±8.5 seconds. When turning on the light, there is a delay of about 3 seconds and they essentially pop on. Turning off, the ramp rate is perfect. Any ideas as to why, and/or a solution?
              Are they dimmable LED bulbs? That is a symptom many have see with LED bulbs. Their electronics need a certain AC input voltage to start the LED. That has to be reached as ramping up. On the ramp down it is already on and drops out at a lower voltage.

Comment

Working...
              X