Varying Times with Open/Close Module & unexpected results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varying Times with Open/Close Module & unexpected results

We have just recently installed around 15 of the Micro Open/Close Modules at a Clients home. The Modules have been set up using the Calibration Assistant in the IOS App ( iPad Mini)
    The Modules are controlling curtains and Blinds via either the App or from various 4 Scene Mini Remotes
    Eg
    Mini Remote 1 controls
    Button A = Curtain 1 (up arrow for open, down arrow for close)
    Button B = Curtain 2
    Button C = Curtain 3
    Button D = All of the above
    And so on for the other curtains and Blinds. The scene for the Mini Remotes was created using the IOS App.
    The existing Hub is a 2245 Hub 2

Our problem is...
    When testing the individual scenes on the Mini Remotes all works fine including the All scene as in button D, however, the next day the blinds seem to have changed where the want to stop in relation to a open or close command. Some blinds will go to approx 50 %, and stop consistently at this point. Others will go to approx 5 % and consistently stop at this point. When using Button D (All blinds command), usually 2 blinds will start immediately and the 3rd will lag by a few seconds. We put this down to traffic on the network?

If we open the Device Properties ( for the module), it is difficult to get an exact picture of what was calibrated, as the calibration time can vary each time we open the device properties. Generally we either get the App spinning it's wheels on this, or it quits the App entirely and has to be restarted.

Opening the Scene properties, we notice each button has been set similar to that of a Dimmer, whereby the Value = On at 0.1 Secs

The App version is 1.10.1 which is supposedly the latest version and I notice this was to fix a bug which sent erronious vales.

Has anyone come across a similar problem? We have sent a request to Insteon Support but not had a reply and wondering if anyone has had real world experience with similar.

I have a similar problem. Did you find a solution?

Comment

Hi Saltram, no haven't found out why at the moment & haven't had anything back from Insteon support. I think our next guess? will be to reset each device concerned and start again. If we disconnect the Hub, then the Mini Remote should send a start signal and the Open Close sensor should time out (to what it has been set at). If this works, then I'm guessing the problem lies with the Hub/ App side of things sending erronious signals. Wouldn't be the first time a fix has been a Farrrr worst?
      Sorry, but glad it's just not me.

Comment

Hi Saltram, did you ever get your problem resolved?

Comment

Hi DingDuck,
          I installed 7 open close modules for the shutters in my apartment and I have the same problem, they work fine one by one but if you create a scene after the first time the shutters seems they don't behave regularly, and stop in completely different position than the ones that I've chosen.
          Did you solve? I also don't understand why in this forum I found someone that say that open close are only up or down not middle position, the app allow also to close in percentage the shutter am I wrong?

Comment

Hi Daredevil,
            No we really didn't get to the bottom of this except to say we found the following.
            We are now using the a ISY994 rather than the HUB2, and the Hub will be used for a paperweight. (Sorry that's rather harsh, but the 'Cloud' is just too slow)
            When using the 'Calibration Assistant' in the App, setting the time was easy, but for what ever reason, this value would not be updated in the device itself for some time. We manually drove the blinds and noted the time. Manually enter this value, wait about 10 mins or so and it would be updated in the device. That seemed to fix the timing issues. If you make a change to the time, do this when the blind is fully open or close, otherwise the module seems to be confused, as it seems to look at the previous time value.

I also believe that when controlling multiple blinds from a Scene, you have to set these up as a "Group". Refer to Owner guide for the 2444. I think this may have been our problem (and yours?), but as we've gone to the ISY we haven't spent anymore time on these yet.

You are correct in being able to 'position' the blinds partly opened. The App does have a Slider function and you can select a % of Open/ Close. My understanding is it sends a Hex value of the % selected to the device. The device knows that if it is 30 secs from open to close, then 50% = 15 secs. My understanding is they work like a Dimmer function, but you adjust the time value. The 2444 then know which direction to operate in, if you select 30% and then select say 75%.

Would appreciate any info you have in fixing your problem. There seems to be little information about the 2444 and its practicalities
            Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            X