Adding Fan Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Fan Control

I want to add a fan to a room, but the location currently is wired to a switch but does not have a leg for the fan. I am considering using the fan module to accomplish this. I am assuming to do this I just connect the hot leg together in the box to ensure the module has constant power, and then the Insteon switch as normal in the switch location right?

In the switch box, install the Insteon switch as you would normally, connecting the hot (black) wire to the switch's line terminal and the switched hot (typically black or red) wire to the switch's load terminal. Ensure that the switch is properly wired and secured. In the fan box, connect the hot (black) wire to the fan module's line terminal. This will provide constant power to the module. From the fan module, connect the switched hot (typically black or red) wire to the fan's motor, providing power to the fan when the switch is turned on. Make sure to connect all neutral (white) wires together in both boxes, as well as ground (green or bare copper) wires, ensuring proper grounding for safety. MyAARPMedicare Pay Bill
    Last edited by shskalaka; 06-28-2023, 10:16 PM.

Comment

An Insteon switch.
      Need three connections.
      Line, Load and Neutral.
      Not sure if the company has started making modules you can put into the fan housing and I don't think a FanLinc would work in your situation.
      The two wire Line and Load only module is a dimmer and not suited for your requirements.

Comment

First, make sure you have a fan module compatible with your existing switch. The fan module will typically require a constant power source and a control signal from the switch. You'll need to check the instructions or specifications of the fan module to ensure compatibility.
        To wire the fan module, follow these items
        1. Turn off the power to the circuit at the breaker panel to ensure your safety.
        2. Open the switch box and locate the hot wire (usually black) coming from your power source. This wire provides the constant power supply.
        3. Connect the hot wire together with an additional wire (pigtail) using a wire nut. The pigtail will provide power to both the fan module and the switch.
        4. Connect one end of the pigtail to the hot wire and the other end to the input terminal of the fan module. This will provide constant power to the module.
        5. Connect the output terminal of the fan module to the hot wire going to the switch.
        6. Connect the neutral wires (usually white) together in the switch box.
        7. Connect the ground wires (usually green or bare copper) together in the switch box.
        8. Mount the fan module securely in the electrical box.
        9. Install the Insteon switch in the desired location following the manufacturer's instructions. This switch will send the control signal to the fan module.
        Last edited by INSTEON John; 07-04-2023, 01:32 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
        X