2477s red blink on manual on/off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2477s red blink on manual on/off

I haven't payed much attention to my back porch switchlink. It was initially a dimmer module but I swapped it to an On/Off module as the overly 'smart' lamp was not playing nice, and I always had linking problems with that and its neighbor a 6 button keypad. Recently I swapped my hub to an ISY and was able to clear out all the 'ghosts in the machine' scene shenanigans. Built upon that success, today I finally swapped my back yard wall lights to dumb on/off units. Dumb as in no built in motion, or dawn to dusk electronics.

Here's my new problem. I might have always overlooked it, or this was the first I saw it but when I turn the switch on, manually, in person, the SET light blinks red a few times. The Load did in fact go on. The insteon did in fact update the ISY and friends to the new status. It is remotely controllable. All is working as expected. Except this RED blink has be curious. I only own 3 On/Off units, and the other two are deep in the bowels of my attic so it's not easy for me to climb up there to tinker around and see if the same RED is as-expected, or a potential error condition. I am familiar with the RED error, when Blink on Traffic is enabled, on other insteons; but as far as I can tell the On/Off version does not have a blink on traffic enableable feature. Am I to infer that this red blink is telling me there were errors on the powerline attempting to update 'the house' to the new status of the light?

Thanks in advance.

You can try "Restore Device." But if you want to have some fun and see where the problem is if there is one, then select Diagnostics > Show Device Links Table. Depending on the number of links, this may take more than a few minutes.

When done, select Compare. Mismatches are easily spotted. Restore Device will repair the problem links.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Stu thanks for both of your replies, and in-depth technical intel. I have long had issues with that switch and the keypad. Somehow, the keypad and the prior dimmer module were linked the day I unboxed them from the store. I thought it was some crazy wiring issue, but even that didn't make sense. It took quite an argument between me and them to get them to fully reset properly. I was doing it wrong. Air gap but not holding set, lol. Now the SwitchLinc, I replaced the dimmer with, has had no issues, except scene shenagins. With the ISY I was able to determine there was some funcky scene connecting my kitchen.keypad.A and Kitchen.Table to Back Deck. Why on earth?! lol. That's why my back deck lights would go off at random times. Someone turning off the kitchen table, from the handy keypad on the other side of the room. It was probably a test scene at one point that I removed in the hub but it might have errored and not fully cleared.

Tomorrow I am going to map that circuit out. I fear it's at the bleeding end of a very long run. I'm not positive, but I have a feeling it is, and also I have two lamplinc's on the two 'prior' receptacles. If I understand it, the offending switchbox I'm working on was a homeowner diy job so he probably tapped the closest wire which was already pretty damn long being on the complete opposite side of the house, and up a floor. I do have extenders on both power phases but not sure if that helps this kind of issue, where a switch needs to update its scene group, and that scene group is on the other phase, and therefore a long long way away; even if just a few feet physically.

Now. Sadly.. I read your post replies just 3 minutes after deciding I had 99% complete config migrated to ISY, so I am running the Restore Devices. This should once and for all get rid of my ghost scenes. I delete them. I update devices. I import a device with 'restore links', and some repeat offenders re-appear. I am hoping this reset fixes that. As far as diagnostics. your right. That would have been fantastic. I ran that exact tool on another device yesterday and found a totally wrong link, removed, made sense that one scene was acting up, yah!

As I write this the ISY "restore devices" informs me it can't communicate with Yard.Back.Deck which is a micro on/off module in a switchbox one floor down and directly below the SwitchLinq in question. This smells more and more like a cable length, or x10 interference issue.

Besides a new home run to my electrical panel, which is not out of the question dooable, do you have any suggestions on how to deal with this? Is there a real cable length limit? I can buy a tool to measure the length, digitally I hope. Outside that there aren't any appliances or such adding x10 noise on that line. Can you recommend a good plug-in, or alligator clip in, x10 noise detector/measurer?

Comment

There is no practical wiring length limit unless you have a detached structure. Even at that, our detached garages respond faithfully to Insteon power line signals (i.e, I/O Lincs). They're nearly 100' distant from the nearest panel, but less than 30' (of cable) from the nearest dual-band device which repeats power line signals, too.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X