2477s powercycling!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2477s powercycling!?

I've installed 5 x 2477d and 2 x 2477s switches around my house so far and for the most part they are working great. However, today as I was walking past one of the 2477s switches and I noticed the LED blink off. I tried turning on the light, and it didn't work. A second or two later, the LED came back on and I attempted to turn the light on and that was successful. Almost immediately, the LED and the light went of. And then came back on. This repeated 4 or 5 times and then stopped with the LED and light on. Now the LED is on constant and things appear fine.

What would cause this sort of behavior? Should I consider this switch faulty and replace it? I've not seen this behavior with any of the other switches.

I know this is not a problem with the whole circuit losing power because there is 2477d right next to it on the same circuit and it remained on the entire time.

Sometimes pulling the set button out for about 10 seconds and then gently pushing it back in helps. (You don't want to push the set button all the way in as that will factory reset the device). If that doesn't work a factory reset may be required, see the Owner's Manual for that.

Which specific LED bulb? Brand, wattage?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

As a matter of best practices its always highly suggested you hard reset any new Insteon device. This will ensure any test links and programs are wiped clean and the device is at a default state.

There have been countless stories about new users seeing ghost behavior in devices. If after performing a hard reset on the device you should verify all wiring is tight and secure. One of the worst practices I see all the time are people who believe spinning the *Marrette / Wire Nut* is perfectly fine to secure the bundle of wires.

NO . . .

You should always use linesmen pliers to twist and make a solid connection. Afterwards secure the bundle with the Marrette / Wire Nut and yank on it to ensure its secure and in place.
      Teken . . .

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
        Sometimes pulling the set button out for about 10 seconds and then gently pushing it back in helps. (You don't want to push the set button all the way in as that will factory reset the device). If that doesn't work a factory reset may be required, see the Owner's Manual for that.

Which specific LED bulb? Brand, wattage?

I was referring to the LED in the switch itself. The lights controlled by this switch are 2 CFL bulbs in a single fixture.

I will give your suggestions a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Teken View Post
          As a matter of best practices its always highly suggested you hard reset any new Insteon device. This will ensure any test links and programs are wiped clean and the device is at a default state.

There have been countless stories about new users seeing ghost behavior in devices. If after performing a hard reset on the device you should verify all wiring is tight and secure. One of the worst practices I see all the time are people who believe spinning the *Marrette / Wire Nut* is perfectly fine to secure the bundle of wires.

NO . . .

You should always use linesmen pliers to twist and make a solid connection. Afterwards secure the bundle with the Marrette / Wire Nut and yank on it to ensure its secure and in place.

I've not done a hard reset of any of the insteon devices I've installed, but I can see why it would be best practice. I will do that as a troubleshooting step after trying to pulling out the set button for a bit.

I will absolutely admit that I have simply been spinning on the wire nut, so it is possible I don't have a secure connection. It seems unlikely to me that is the cause of this particular problem as the switch stays powered for hours at a time and the will seemingly randomly go into a series of 4 or 5 resets and then be fine again for a long period. If this occurred only when attempting to turn the switch (or the other in the same box) on/off, a loose connection would absolutely make sense. When I first noticed it was was probably 10 feet away looking through the window next to the switch.

That said I will redo the connections if the other options don't seem to address the problem.

Comment

I tried all of the suggestions, and nothing has resolved the situation. Over the last couple of days, the problem has gotten worse to the point that the switch has not power most of the time an occasionally boots up for a few minutes before shutting down again. As of right now, I have the switch dangling from the wall (not really "safe" or recommended) and when it does not have power, not amount of wiggling the wires will cause it to boot up and become functional. When it does randomly power up, it works as one would expect and no amount of wiggling of the switch/wires will cause it to lose power.

In any case I am confident at this time it is a faulty switch. I've contacted the vendor (Smarthome) and they agreed with my assessment and I have started the RMA process.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by therevmj View Post
              I tried all of the suggestions, and nothing has resolved the situation. Over the last couple of days, the problem has gotten worse to the point that the switch has not power most of the time an occasionally boots up for a few minutes before shutting down again. As of right now, I have the switch dangling from the wall (not really "safe" or recommended) and when it does not have power, not amount of wiggling the wires will cause it to boot up and become functional. When it does randomly power up, it works as one would expect and no amount of wiggling of the switch/wires will cause it to lose power.

In any case I am confident at this time it is a faulty switch. I've contacted the vendor (Smarthome) and they agreed with my assessment and I have started the RMA process.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Keep us all posted once you receive the replacement part.
              Teken . . .

Comment

Teken,

I'm relatively new to Insteon and migrating an extensive X10 system, having some interesting/similar issues myself with X10 devices randomly responding to a 2477D controller. I find it to useful to use Houselinc's Detail Logs to watch what's going on. It has several user-selectable levels of detail, and it's a free download from Smarthome http://www.smarthome.com/houselinc.html . I use it as my house controller with lots of programmed events running on an old dedicated laptop and it works with both X10 and dual-band Insteon devices. Even if you don't use its controller functions the Detail Log trace function might be useful to watch what's going on. It does require a 2413U module.

Comment

The latest Insteon devices are not supported by HouseLinc and the latest 2413S. Also is not supported.
                  Though I have seen two posts where Customer Support emailed uses a later devices.xml file to correct that.

Some Insteon modules have been known to ship with test addresses in them. Some where left over X10 addresses. So many of us factory reset all modules before use.

Comment

Originally posted by Teken View Post

Keep us all posted once you receive the replacement part.

I received the replacement and have had zero problems with it.

Comment

BLH, yes I've seen posts about HouseLinc non-support but did verify my 2413U firmware level was included in the Devices.xml file I'm running with. I'll run as long as I can with the old laptop and HouseLinc before biting the bullet for ISY. I hate that Smarthome keeps dropping support for items that are still advertised/made available on their Web site with no mention of non-support. As a home-owner-user I expect systems to last for at least a decade! I'm not going to completely revamp my home automation system every few years - way too expensive and time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by therevmj View Post

I received the replacement and have had zero problems with it.

That is great to hear and thanks for the follow up. Once in awhile you just get one dud in a install which doesn't happen too often.
                        Teken . . .

Comment

Insteon Customer Support has released an updated devices.xml.

http://support.insteon.com/customer/...s-in-houselinc

Comment

Working...
                          X